[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO XENIX +VP/ix + WordPerfect 5.1?

is@athena.cs.uga.edu (Bob Stearns) (05/22/91)

If you have gotten Word Perfect 5.1 to work under VP/ix under SCO's XENIX
version 3.2 or 3.3, I would greatly appreciate any information you have
on the process. All I got after the installation was finished was 'WP.FIL
not found'. Thanks in advance, Bob Stearns.

dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) (05/25/91)

is@athena.cs.uga.edu (Bob Stearns) writes:

> If you have gotten Word Perfect 5.1 to work under VP/ix under SCO's XENIX
> version 3.2 or 3.3, I would greatly appreciate any information you have
> on the process. All I got after the installation was finished was 'WP.FIL
> not found'. Thanks in advance, Bob Stearns.

Why not use the Xenix version of WP?  It works much better without using
the Poor Messy Dos Kludge commonly known as VP/ix.  We started using VP/ix
and abandoned it when we had more problem calls per day (5 systems) than
from all of our mini-computer sites (over 80).

Look in some old (about May 1990) issues of Computer Shopper for some
insights on setting up WP on VP/ix (Xenix version came out shortly after
that, six months later, we were using Xenix version, it works very well.

Douglas A. Pavey
Programmer/Analyst
Syncor International
+1 513/984-2839 9-5 EDT
dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP

This is not an official document of Syncor International.
This work is the sole responsibility of the author and has not been

root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) (05/26/91)

In article <s64g33w164w@cccbbs.UUCP> dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) writes:

>Why not use the Xenix version of WP?

I don't use it because of the high $$$ of most UNIX/XENIX software.

Jeff Anderson                                        jaa@rsch.oclc.org
H: 614-252-7563                                sporty!jeff@ursa-major.spdcc.com
W: 614-764-6222                                      jeff@sporty.UUCP

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/28/91)

In <309@sporty.UUCP> root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:

:In article <s64g33w164w@cccbbs.UUCP> dpavey@cccbbs.UUCP (doug pavey) writes:
:>
:>Why not use the Xenix version of WP?

:I don't use it because of the high $$$ of most UNIX/XENIX software.

The 5-user Xenix/Unix versions of WP5.0 cost about the same as
two DOS versions.  How is this more expensive (assuming you're
being legal about it of course).

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) (05/28/91)

In article <1057@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:

>The 5-user Xenix/Unix versions of WP5.0 cost about the same as
>two DOS versions.  How is this more expensive (assuming you're
>being legal about it of course).

My system is my home PC.  I do have ~10-15 users that dial in but only I
have access to VP/ix.  The dial in users are mostly Usenet readers.  They
have their own home PCs and their own wordprocessing software.  Since
DOS software is cheaper (and what I am forced to use at work), I put
up with the few abnormalities of VP/ix.

Unix will never have the market share of dos because:
1.  System administration/installation is far too complex for the ordinary
    MS-DOS user.
2.  MS-DOS software is generally *much* less expensive.

W: 614-764-6222     B7 f+ t w dc g+ k+ s- e r        jeff@sporty.UUCP