[comp.unix.xenix.sco] tcp sum: where from ?

ccsmd@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za (M. Daniel) (05/23/91)

Hi all,

The XENIX machine at this site (which is also our gateway), running LAI-TCP,
has recently started crashing at apparently random times.  It sometimes
comes up with a "Kernel Page Fault" panic message, but sometimes just dies
noiselessly (keyboard locks up, etc).

Also, something is producing messages like the following:

	tcp sum: src 3B632AC0, sum 0000FBCD

continuously on the console.  Presumably, it's one of the TCP/IP daemons,
but which one, and how do I stop these messages ?

I have a feeling that the crashes are occurring when the "tcp sum" above
reaches a critical value of some sort, but have not investigated further.

Has anyone out there any light to shed on this ?

Thanks in advance.

|    M. Daniel,  Computer Center,  University of Fort Hare,  Alice,  Ciskei.  |
|    Internet:  ccsmd@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za   -+-   uucp: ..!m2xenix!ufhx1!ccsmd    |

harry@svnet.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May23.130539.1374@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za>, ccsmd@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za (M. Daniel) writes:
. Hi all,
.
. The XENIX machine at this site (which is also our gateway), running LAI-TCP,
. has recently started crashing at apparently random times.  It sometimes
. comes up with a "Kernel Page Fault" panic message, but sometimes just dies
. noiselessly (keyboard locks up, etc).
.
. Also, something is producing messages like the following:
.
. 	tcp sum: src 3B632AC0, sum 0000FBCD
.
. continuously on the console.  Presumably, it's one of the TCP/IP daemons,
. but which one, and how do I stop these messages ?

I have been getting the same errors on our ODT workstations .  It was caused
by the FTP sessions that were running on the systems. I also noted that the
information had been displaying on my virt. consoles as well (when I flipped
to them). I have this reported but no response yet. Such is the time warp
of SCO support, eh?!
--
Harry Skelton                | harry@usrgrp.uniforum.org
Senior Systems Administrator | ..!uunet!usrgrp!harry

apg@hq.demos.su (Paul Antonov) (05/31/91)

In <2612@svnet.UUCP> harry@svnet.UUCP (Harry Skelton) writes:

>In article <1991May23.130539.1374@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za>, ccsmd@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za (M. Daniel) writes:
>. Also, something is producing messages like the following:
>.
>. 	tcp sum: src 3B632AC0, sum 0000FBCD
>.
>. continuously on the console.  Presumably, it's one of the TCP/IP daemons,
>. but which one, and how do I stop these messages ?

The solution is very simple:

% adb -w /xenix
* tcpprintfs/w 0
* $q
%

. Paul G. Antonov                         DEMOS, Moscow, Russia   .
. INET:   apg@hq.demos.su                 Voice:  +7 095 2312129  .
.         apg%hq.demos.su@relay.eu.net    Fax:    +7 095 2335016  .