[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO TCP/IP

root@pegasus.UUCP (Super user) (05/30/91)

  I have recently worked with SCO's TCP/IP (version 1.0r) on both
  SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and SCO UNIX 3.2 and I have noticed

     a) telnet is missing the "binary" command
        which is absolutely needed outside US

     b) both rlogin and telnet have  a annoying "bumpy" feeling
        as if transmitting data in big chunks

  Now in my major system (a 486 with SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2) I have an
  old faithful Excelan (now no longer produced I think) with Excelan's
  software that even though is non ARPA-standard, is certainly slower
  and has bad mail implementation yet its rlogin and telnet are very smooth
  and both work fine in binary mode.

  I want to replace the Excelan with WD8003 and SCO's TCP/IP.  Is there
  a configuration so that telnet works in binary and communication
  gets smooth ?

  P.S. Is there a XENIX 386 2.3.3 ? I have seen references for it
       in many places.

  Please answer with e-mail since we are slow in receiving news.

  Thanks in advance,

  E.Sarmas

jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) (05/31/91)

In article <22@pegasus.UUCP> root@pegasus.UUCP (Super user) writes:
"
"  I have recently worked with SCO's TCP/IP (version 1.0r) on both
"  SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and SCO UNIX 3.2 and I have noticed
"
"     a) telnet is missing the "binary" command
"        which is absolutely needed outside US
"
"     b) both rlogin and telnet have  a annoying "bumpy" feeling
"        as if transmitting data in big chunks
"

Add that to the growing list of items which makes LAI TCP/IP lame.
I tried to get hold of SCO regarding failure of their TCP/IP to
adhere to accepted standards by providing support for UUCP connections.

Last Friday, a tech support guy called me and suggested using SMTP.
Sorry, but some of the sites I talk to require UUCP over TCP/IP -
PERIOD. It seems to me that they'd have to make a EFFORT to EXCLUDE
UUCP support instead of INCLUDE it. I mean, if they have a UNIX
source code license, they already have the support in there. Why would
they intentionally cripple a piece of software?  Thats what irks me.

Anyways, my phone died in the middle of the conversation with the
SCO rep and he hasn't called me back. I can't get support for my
customers or my own systems. Thats why we'll be dropping our SCO
Reseller Contract soon and will be sticking with Interactive.

--
CAT-TALK Conferencing System   |  "Buster Bunny is an abused | E-MAIL:
+1 313 343 0800 (USR HST)      |   child. Trust me - I'm a   | jp@Michigan.COM

chip@chinacat.unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.224320.4758@tygra.Michigan.COM>
	jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
>I tried to get hold of SCO regarding failure of their TCP/IP to
>adhere to accepted standards by providing support for UUCP connections.

To which standards are you referring, pray tell?  SVID?  POSIX?  FIPS?
Maybe you are making this up as you go along, and don't really know
what the fuck you are talking about.

>Last Friday, a tech support guy called me and suggested using SMTP.
>Sorry, but some of the sites I talk to require UUCP over TCP/IP -

Then tell them to get their SMTP fixed.  SMTP is a recommended part of
the TCP/IP protocol suite.  uucp isn't even granted elective status.

>It seems to me that they'd have to make a EFFORT to EXCLUDE
>UUCP support instead of INCLUDE it. I mean, if they have a UNIX
>source code license, they already have the support in there.

How can one boy have room for so many feet in a single mouth?

>Thats why we'll be dropping our SCO Reseller Contract soon and will
>be sticking with Interactive.

Good.  I hope that means we won't be seeing you around this group anymore.
--
Chip Rosenthal     <chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>  |  Don't play that
Unicom Systems Development      512-482-8260   |    loud, Mr. Collins.