[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Problems with EMACS 18.57?

<ACPS2924@Ryerson.Ca> (05/31/91)

I just recently ftp'd GNU Emacs 18.57 and would really like to get it to
work    under SCO Unix 386.
Im using "m-intel386" and "s-usg5-3.h" in the build stage.
I have X11 and all the rest defined.
It comes back with an executable.

Running the executable will load up all the list but the arrow keys are useless
.  They produce 2's 4's 6's and 8's .  Any reason for this??
Anybody got this to work???
Any help would be most appreciated.

Peter

acps2924@ryerson.ca ! Who is the  ! If plumbers designed toilets like
                    ! user,pray,  ! software professionals design tools,
                    ! and who is  ! we'd be up to our knees in crap.
                    ! the used ?  !                 - Charles A. Rovira

robertsr@cs.unca.edu (Ralph Roberts) (06/02/91)

In article <91151.131632ACPS2924@Ryerson.Ca> ACPS2924@Ryerson.Ca writes:
>I just recently ftp'd GNU Emacs 18.57 and would really like to get it to
>work    under SCO Unix 386.
>Im using "m-intel386" and "s-usg5-3.h" in the build stage.
>I have X11 and all the rest defined.
>It comes back with an executable.
>
>Running the executable will load up all the list but the arrow keys are useless
>.  They produce 2's 4's 6's and 8's .  Any reason for this??
>Anybody got this to work???
>Any help would be most appreciated.

Everything sounds normal so far, Peter.  Now all you  need is a bit of
E-lisp  code  called     'at386.el' which,   when       put  in   your
/usr/local/emacs/lisp/term  and directory called   in your .emacs init
file, will set up all your PC keys to include  arrows, PgUp, PgDn, and
let you define your function keys  to useful actions. It's reasonbably
widely available, but if have trouble finding  at386.el, I'll  be glad
to E-mail it to you.

You might want to check out THE UNIX  DESKTOP GUIDE TO EMACS by myself
and Dr. Mark Boyd (out in August from Howard W. Sams). It has a lot of
tips like  the  above in it  for  GNU, Freemacs, MicroEmacs, UniPress,
Epsilon, and other flavors of Emacs.

Emacs is really wonderful ;-).

--
Ralph Roberts  author@cs.unca.edu    |    The Unix Desktop Guide to Emacs
               Asheville, N.C.       |      Compute!'s Computer Viruses