[comp.unix.xenix.sco] uucp/uucico problems

gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) (05/25/91)

I'm having problems with the part of sco 2.3.2 that's not like straight
unix.  What's happening is that emailed msgs to remote systems
(using the "remotesysid!loginid" format) don't leave my system until
the remote systems sends something to my system.  Does anybody have a
clue as to why this is.  This happens in sending to most (or maybe all)
remote sites.

P.S.  Something like uucico, perhaps uucoco?

(Its the uucico that's different from straight unix, as far as I can tell.)

Thank you

--

uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt8963a
Internet: gt8963a@prism.gatech.edu

mike@bria.UUCP (mike.stefanik) (05/28/91)

In an article, gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
|I'm having problems with the part of sco 2.3.2 that's not like straight
|unix.  What's happening is that emailed msgs to remote systems
|(using the "remotesysid!loginid" format) don't leave my system until
|the remote systems sends something to my system.  Does anybody have a
|clue as to why this is.  This happens in sending to most (or maybe all)
|remote sites.

Try uncommenting the lines in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp and then
kick cron.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

bill@twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) (05/29/91)

mike@bria.UUCP (mike.stefanik) writes:

: In an article, gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
: |I'm having problems with the part of sco 2.3.2 that's not like straight
: |unix.  What's happening is that emailed msgs to remote systems
: |(using the "remotesysid!loginid" format) don't leave my system until
: |the remote systems sends something to my system.  Does anybody have a
: |clue as to why this is.  This happens in sending to most (or maybe all)
: |remote sites.

: Try uncommenting the lines in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp and then
: kick cron.

For XENIX you should do this as follows:

cd /tmp
su uucp
crontab -l > file_name
vi file_name  [edit to uncomment the lines]
crontab file_name
rm file_name

Cron is "kicked" by reading the new file (file_name), which gets
placed in "/usr/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp".

: --
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: If MS-DOS didn't exist, who would UNIX programmers have to make fun of?
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     Your Computer

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (05/30/91)

->In an article, gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
->|I'm having problems with the part of sco 2.3.2 that's not like straight
->|unix.  What's happening is that emailed msgs to remote systems
->|(using the "remotesysid!loginid" format) don't leave my system until
->|the remote systems sends something to my system.  Does anybody have a
->|clue as to why this is.  This happens in sending to most (or maybe all)
->|remote sites.
->
->Try uncommenting the lines in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp and then
->kick cron.
->

I don't think so.  I don't even use cron for uucp.  If you write outgoing
mail, uucp should exec uucico immediately as long as the relevant site in
Systems has an ok range of call times.  In this regard SCO is just like all
others.

In fact, other than the optional Dialers programs, SCO uucp IS exactly like
normal Sys V HDB uucp to the casual observer.

Why don't you try a uutry -r "whatever" and see what really happens when
you do outgoing uucp?

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal

bodifee@sunatb.UUCP (Peter Bodifee) (05/31/91)

In comp.unix.xenix.sco MCGARTHY "gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU" writes:

>I'm having problems with the part of sco 2.3.2 that's not like straight
>unix.  What's happening is that emailed msgs to remote systems
>(using the "remotesysid!loginid" format) don't leave my system until
>the remote systems sends something to my system.  Does anybody have a
>clue as to why this is.  This happens in sending to most (or maybe all)
>remote sites.

I experience exactly the opposite. When I mail a message to a remote user
as soon as I type the 'end-of-message' command in mail my modem starts
dialing to send the message. I rather have mail (usually more then 1 message
queued and then being send when cron calls uusched and uuxqt to send the
queued mail messagen.
queued mail messages. I have only connection to one other remote system and
use 'Any' in the schedule field in the file Systems.
My cron calls uusched and uuxqt once an hour.

Can somebody put a light on this dark spot?
--
Peter Bodifee			UUCP:	  {uunet}!hp4nl!bsovax!sunatb!bodifee
"UNIX is the answer,		Internet: bodifee@sunatb.bsovax.UUCP

--

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (05/31/91)

In <234@mnopltd.UUCP> neal@mnopltd.UUCP writes:

>->In an article, gt8963a@prism.gatech.EDU (MCCARTNEY,JEFFREY ELWOOD) writes:
>->|I'm having problems with the part of sco 2.3.2 that's not like straight
>->|unix.  What's happening is that emailed msgs to remote systems
>->|(using the "remotesysid!loginid" format) don't leave my system until
>->|the remote systems sends something to my system.  Does anybody have a
>->|clue as to why this is.  This happens in sending to most (or maybe all)
>->|remote sites.
>->
>->Try uncommenting the lines in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp and then
>->kick cron.
>->

>I don't think so.  I don't even use cron for uucp.  If you write outgoing
>mail, uucp should exec uucico immediately as long as the relevant site in
>Systems has an ok range of call times.  In this regard SCO is just like all
>others.

>In fact, other than the optional Dialers programs, SCO uucp IS exactly like
>normal Sys V HDB uucp to the casual observer.

>Why don't you try a uutry -r "whatever" and see what really happens when
>you do outgoing uucp?

On my version of SCO Xeni SysV286 2.2.1 (I know, it's old), something
(documentation somewhere) made me put a line that says:

STARTJOB=NO

in my /etc/default/uucp file.  You might check for one of those.  You
could also try a uucico without the -r and see if it calls right away.

--
-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------
Charles "Chip" Yamasaki| The opinions expressed here are my own and are not

mike@bria.UUCP (mike.stefanik) (05/31/91)

In an article, gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
>I don't think so.  I don't even use cron for uucp.  If you write outgoing
>mail, uucp should exec uucico immediately as long as the relevant site in
>Systems has an ok range of call times.  In this regard SCO is just like all
>others.

True enough.  Our mailer will not fire up uucico off the bat; it instead
waits for the next uusched (save on those phone bills, you know.)  I forgot
about this "uniqueness" and thought perhaps that his cron entries were
hosed.

>Why don't you try a uutry -r "whatever" and see what really happens when
>you do outgoing uucp?

Right on the money ...
--

rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) (06/03/91)

From article <417@sunatb.UUCP>, by bodifee@sunatb.UUCP (Peter Bodifee):
-
- I experience exactly the opposite. When I mail a message to a remote user
- as soon as I type the 'end-of-message' command in mail my modem starts
- dialing to send the message. I rather have mail (usually more then 1 message
- queued and then being send when cron calls uusched and uuxqt to send the
- queued mail messages. I have only connection to one other remote system and
- use 'Any' in the schedule field in the file Systems.
- My cron calls uusched and uuxqt once an hour.
-
- Can somebody put a light on this dark spot?

Creating the file `/etc/default/mail' with the line:
spoolonly
worked on SCO Xenix 2.3.2 (286) to prevent an immediate poll of the
site.  I assume it also works on the 386.  If you're using a value-added
mailer (e.g. smail, etc.) it may not work.

--
Roger Cornelius          rac@sherpa.UUCP         uunet!sherpa!rac