[comp.unix.xenix.sco] UHC, Esix, ISC, SCO, which ?

jjp@necis.UUCP (Jeff Phillips) (05/31/91)

In article <1260@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) writes:
   > [...]
   >I have been looking for a 386 system to run UNIX on and thought that
   >the hardest decision would be the hardware, silly me, it turned out
   >to be to operating system.
   > [...]
   >So I have sort of decided on Esix and have found an Australian
   >distributor for it (have not for the other two).
   >
   >Can anyone enlighten me to any major differences [...]
I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
is true?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@ Jeffrey J. Phillips				UUCP: jjp@necis.nec.com   @@
@@ NEC Technologies, Inc.			PHONE: (508)635-6077	  @@
@@          "UNIX isn't a philosophy, it's a way of life" - anon          @@
@@ CASUAL DISCLAIMER: Opinions are mine - definitely not corporate policy @@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

richard@xanth.b11.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) (05/31/91)

In article <1424@necis.UUCP>, jjp@necis.UUCP (Jeff Phillips) writes:
|> In article <1260@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> nigel@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Nigel Harwood) writes:
|>    > [...]
|>    >I have been looking for a 386 system to run UNIX on and thought that
|>    >the hardest decision would be the hardware, silly me, it turned out
|>    >to be to operating system.
|>    > [...]
|>    >So I have sort of decided on Esix and have found an Australian
|>    >distributor for it (have not for the other two).
|>    >
|>    >Can anyone enlighten me to any major differences [...]
|> I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
|> If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
|> is true?

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!  You may be hard pressed to find someone running ESIX on an Everex platform.  I use a noname 386 clone and have never had any complaints with ESIX.

--
Richard A. Griffiths              ...uunet!ingr!b11!xanth!richard   (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.                  richard@b11.ingr.com          (Internet)

bill@unixland.natick.ma.us (Bill Heiser) (06/01/91)

In article <1424@necis.UUCP> jjp@necis.nec.com (Jeff Phillips) writes:
>I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
>If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
>is true?

Esix is most-definitely NOT restricted to Everex platforms.

--
bill@unixland.natick.ma.us	The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill       bill@unixland

In article <1991May31.143443.8597@infonode.ingr.com> richard@xanth.b11.ingr.com writes:

>ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE!  You may be hard pressed to find someone running ESIX on an Everex platform.  I use a noname 386 clone and have never had any complaints with ESIX.

Well, I know of at least one person running ESIX R4 on an Everex platform :-)

Kevin, you out there?

--

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (06/03/91)

In article <1424@necis.UUCP> jjp@necis.nec.com (Jeff Phillips) writes:
>I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
>If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
>is true?

>@@ Jeffrey J. Phillips				UUCP: jjp@necis.nec.com   @@

No.  ESIX runs on the average clone.

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            |
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | Reunite PANGEA!

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (06/04/91)

In article <1424@necis.UUCP> jjp@necis.nec.com (Jeff Phillips) writes:
>I'm not sure about this, but I thought that ESIX only ran on Everex platforms.
>If so, you're constrained to one hardware vendor.  Does anybody know if this
>is true?

No,No,No..... Esix in NOT for just Everex computers. That is why it is
called Esix System V, not Everex System V.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V
                        UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde