[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO XENIX mail aliases

alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) (06/03/91)

Has anybody had any experience with trying to get the XENIX /usr/bin/mail
to correctly recognize the (sort-of) documented alias files in
/usr/lib/mail ?

I am trying to get it to do the following, since I currently don't have the time
to get a real mailer up and running:

uunet <-----> ahmcs <------> mq
	      ahmcs.mq.com   main.mq.com

uunet currently translates any mail headed for user@mq.com to ahmcs!user. Mail
addressed to user@main.mq.com, however, translates to ahmcs!main.mq.com!user.

What I want "mail" on the machine "ahmcs" to do is to translate the
"main.mq.com" to "mq". Thus, mail addressed to user@main.mq.com would turn into
uunet!ahmcs!mq!user.

It would seem like the following line in maliases would do the trick:

main.mq.com: mq!

except it doesn't.

Anybody have a clue as to how I can do this without resorting to a different
mailer ?
--
< Alan H. Mintz  | alan@mq.com | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan >

chip@chinacat.unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) (06/04/91)

In article <197@ahmcs.uucp> alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) writes:
>Anybody have a clue as to how I can do this without resorting to a different
>mailer ?

No.  Even if you could get aliases doing what you want, you still have
the brick wall of SCO's stock mail system treating `@' in an address
as a syntax error.  You will find that installing smail2.5 will be
the quickest and easiest route to the solution you want.  It's a nice
coincidence that the easiest thing to do is also the right thing to
do.

--
Chip Rosenthal     <chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>  |  Don't play that
Unicom Systems Development      512-482-8260   |    loud, Mr. Collins.