[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Xenix and VGA

jsteele@netcom.COM (John Steele) (06/05/91)

I am currently using vidi to set my VGA console to 43 line mode.  I am
wondering if 50 line mode is somehow available, and also why only 3
console partitions out of 12 will allow 43 lines.  If anyone has an
answer, I would be grateful if you could either respond in this newsgroup
as others may have come across the same, or if not, reply email.

Thanks,
  John   jsteele@netcom.com

wul@sco.COM (Wu Liu) (06/06/91)

/--jsteele@netcom.COM (John Steele) said...
| I am currently using vidi to set my VGA console to 43 line mode.  I am
| wondering if 50 line mode is somehow available, and also why only 3
| console partitions out of 12 will allow 43 lines.  If anyone has an
| answer, I would be grateful if you could either respond in this newsgroup
| as others may have come across the same, or if not, reply email.
\--

The VGA 50-line mode is probably not available.  You should check
/usr/include/sys/vidi.h; the supported video modes are listed in
there.

If you want to use 43-line mode on all of your multiscreens, you'll
need to increase the amount of memory reserved for the console.  I
don't know what the resource name is under Xenix; it's SCRNMEM under
Unix.

6600joef@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joe Foster) (06/07/91)

In article <12443@scolex.sco.COM> wul@sco.COM (Wu Liu) writes:

>The VGA 50-line mode is probably not available.  You should check
>/usr/include/sys/vidi.h; the supported video modes are listed in
>there.

>If you want to use 43-line mode on all of your multiscreens, you'll
>need to increase the amount of memory reserved for the console.  I
>don't know what the resource name is under Xenix; it's SCRNMEM under
>Unix.

I had the same problem for a while with my 12 multiscreens (I don't usually
need 12 screens, but then there are those few occasions... Kinda like car
insurance, I guess...). The problem went away when I upped the memory
reserved for the multiscreens to 128k.

I too would like 80x50 text. I would have written a custom video driver for
it, as well as for my ATI VGAWonder's 132x50 text and high-res modes (even
though looking at 1024x768 interlaced for too long makes my eyes cross!),
if only I could get my hands on some documentation. I'm afraid section 4
of the Device Driver's Writers Guide just doesn't cut it. For one thing,
it doesn't say anything about the arguments for xxadaptcl() except that
it will be called with the multiscreen, the SGR value, and that "The
arguments to the above commands will be such values as are appropriate."
(page 4-9). Say what!? Oh, well. I guess a *real programmer* would be able
to figure it out no matter what the docs say. I'm just a pretender... :^)

Does the video driver system support cases in which my driver could handle
things specific to the ATI card and pass everything else off to the VGA
driver? At the moment, the VGA driver and the ATI card seem to be perfectly
happy with each other, no matter what VGA mode I ask it to emulate. Should I
call the VGA routines from my driver from within the ATI routines?

Thanks for listening and trying not to laugh *too* hard...

Joe Foster
6600joef@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu