[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Dos will not boot from Xenix

jep@pcgbase.UUCP (John E Phillips) (06/10/91)

I have Xenix 2.3.3 and at the boot: prompt when I type "dos" to
got into my dos partition I get the message "bad magic number",
and my computer comes right back to the Xenix boot prompt.  If I boot
from a floppy my dos partition seems fine.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--
John E. Phillips       | "The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion"
P.O. Box 903           |                -Arnold H. Glasow

slootman@dri.nl (Paul Slootman) (06/10/91)

In article <1411@pcgbase.UUCP> jep@pcgbase.UUCP (John E Phillips) writes:
>I have Xenix 2.3.3 and at the boot: prompt when I type "dos" to
>got into my dos partition I get the message "bad magic number",
>and my computer comes right back to the Xenix boot prompt.  If I boot
>from a floppy my dos partition seems fine.  Any suggestions?

Your problem is not with your Dos partition. When the Xenix partition
is booted (i.e. *before* Xenix itself is booted) the file /boot is
executed. This prints the

	Xenix System V

	Boot
	:

message, reads the /etc/default/boot file, and waits for input. Anything
you type is checked against possible aliases in the /etc/default/boot
file, after which the file selected is started. I.e. if you enter "/xenix"
(with or without the slash), /xenix is run. If you enter "dos", then the
file /dos is run. However, if running the file goes wrong for whatever
reason, an error is printed and you are returned to the "Boot:" prompt.

What the matter is in your case is that the file /dos is corrupted. If
you boot xenix, try "file /dos". It should say "8086 separate
standalone executable" or something like that. Try restoring /dos from
the original floppies (volume N1 comes to mind...).
--
:slootman@dri.nl : When you get to the point where you think that nothing