[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Better DOS programs, anyone?

dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) (06/04/91)

I can't take it any more.  On SCO Xenix 2.3.3, my doscp takes SO
long to copy files!  Sometimes it runs out of memory!  Is there an
alternative method?  (No, I don't have VP/ix - will anyone sell me
a copy for cheap?)  I have used the DOS utilities under Minix, and
in many cases Minix will read and write DOS files FASTER than DOS.
I would hope that there would that Xenix would be able to do so somehow.
Perhaps someone has ported the Minix utilities to Xenix?  If not,
I may - before I go insane waiting for doscp to finish.

Thanks,
Dave Smith

ro@thp.uni-koeln.de (Rainer Orth) (06/06/91)

In article <699@genco.bungi.com> dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:

> I can't take it any more.  On SCO Xenix 2.3.3, my doscp takes SO
> long to copy files!  Sometimes it runs out of memory!  Is there an
> alternative method?  (No, I don't have VP/ix - will anyone sell me
> a copy for cheap?)  I have used the DOS utilities under Minix, and
> in many cases Minix will read and write DOS files FASTER than DOS.
> I would hope that there would that Xenix would be able to do so somehow.
> Perhaps someone has ported the Minix utilities to Xenix?  If not,
> I may - before I go insane waiting for doscp to finish.

Try mtools version 2.0.4 from

	cerl.cecer.army.mil [129.229.1.101]
	~ftp/pub/mtools/mtools_sh.[1-4].Z

I use it both on a SparcStation 1+ or 2 running SunOS 4.1 and on
my Atari/ST at home running Minix 1.6.15.

On the sparc its nearly twice as fast as the new dos filesystem introduced
in SunOS 4.1.1, on the atari more than twice as fast as the tos command suite
(which is equivalent to the dos command on Minix/PC.)

Hope this helps.

	Rainer
Rainer Orth, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Cologne

Internet: ro@thp.Uni-Koeln.DE

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/06/91)

In article <699@genco.bungi.com> dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:
-I can't take it any more.  On SCO Xenix 2.3.3, my doscp takes SO
-long to copy files!  Sometimes it runs out of memory!  Is there an

The doscp program is a bit quadratic.  It does seem that Unix
programs tend to be a bit quadratic dealing with floppies unless
they can be made to use a track at a time.

Now that the 286 is Dead, perhaps someone can hack soem doscp
program that buffers a track in memory, or perhaps caches the
entire floppy.

Since I have Merge and Vp/ix I don't need to do the hacking myself.

mike@bria.UUCP (mike.stefanik) (06/07/91)

In an article, dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:
>I can't take it any more.  On SCO Xenix 2.3.3, my doscp takes SO
>long to copy files! [...]

Part of the problem may be that you are using /dev/install to read the
floppy (which is slower because it goes about figuring the density of
the diskette it is reading); using the explicit device name can speed things
up a bit (but not much, mind you! :-)

For example ...

	doscp /dev/fd096ds15:/dos/is/evil /tmp
--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

bryan@well.sf.ca.us (Bryan Higgins) (06/07/91)

I have a program which reads and writes XENIX tar floppies on DOS.  It's
fairly fast.  E-mail if interested.

bryan@well.sf.ca.us

dls@genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) (06/13/91)

In article <278@bria.UUCP> uunet!bria!mike writes:
>Part of the problem may be that you are using /dev/install to read the
>floppy (which is slower because it goes about figuring the density of
>the diskette it is reading); using the explicit device name can speed things
>up a bit (but not much, mind you! :-)
>
>For example ...
>
>	doscp /dev/fd096ds15:/dos/is/evil /tmp

Well, thanks, but the REAL deficiency is when I copy to/from a DOS hard
disk partition.  I would assume that doscp would not use /dev/install
to get c:/dos/is/evil :-)  Anyhow, it's just another one of those things
that I guess I'll have to live with.

Dave Smith

dls@genco.bungi.com