[comp.unix.xenix.sco] boot : dos ?

victor@alchemy.UUCP (Victor Michael) (05/31/91)

Can someone tell me if I my DOS partition is not labeled correctly for
booting into that partition at 'boot :' prompt or is this a quirk of
DOS 4.0????

I have heard that DOS 4.0 partitions are not recognized as such with Xenix

I'm currently booting into Xenix, sys maint mode, sync, then fdisk -a 4
to  activate (by partition #) and then haltsys.

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks,
Vic Michael

"randy rogers" <randy.rogers@canrem.uucp> (06/01/91)

VM>Can someone tell me if I my DOS partition is not labeled correctly for
VM>booting into that partition at 'boot :' prompt or is this a quirk of
VM>DOS 4.0????

Victor,
  I do this with Compaq Dos 3.31 all the time - may be Dos 4.0 is the
culprit!
Cheers,

#X0aRandy Rogers#X07 at @X0cKeystone Computer Resources
@X0bP.O. Box 103 Hepworth, Ontario, N0H 1P0
@X0aTel: (519) 935-3201 Fax: (519) 935-3202
#X0dInternet: #X0frandy.rogers%canrem.uucp#lsuc.on.ca
#X0dUUCP: #X0fcanrem!randy.rogers#X0e | #X0dOthers: #X0frandy.rogers#canrem.uucp@X07
---
 ? DeLuxe?/386 1.1 #7019 ?
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

wirzeniu@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Lars Wirzenius) (06/03/91)

In article <438@alchemy.UUCP> victor@alchemy.UUCP (Victor Michael) writes:
>Can someone tell me if I my DOS partition is not labeled correctly for
>booting into that partition at 'boot :' prompt or is this a quirk of
>DOS 4.0????
>
>I have heard that DOS 4.0 partitions are not recognized as such with Xenix

I do it daily often, without problems. I have SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and MS-DOS
4.01. Are you certain you followed the installation instructions
correctly? I believe that the DOS partitition should be installed first,
and shouldn't be made bootable, I can't check it right now, however.
--
Lars Wirzenius     wirzeniu@cc.helsinki.fi

glee@tigris.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (06/08/91)

In article <438@alchemy.UUCP> victor@alchemy.UUCP (Victor Michael) writes:
>I have heard that DOS 4.0 partitions are not recognized as such with Xenix

I run with DOS 4.0 partition, and it works fine.  Two things I found, XENIX
will not recognize DOS 4.0 partitions greater than 32MB, and it must be the
first partition on disk.

Also, XENIX does not seem to recognize the second DOS partition (D:).

--
Godfrey Lee
cunews!tigris!glee	or	glee@tigris.ocunix.on.ca

root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) (06/14/91)

In article <438@alchemy.UUCP> victor@alchemy.UUCP (Victor Michael) writes:
> Can someone tell me if I my DOS partition is not labeled correctly for
> booting into that partition at 'boot :' prompt or is this a quirk of
> DOS 4.0????
>
> I have heard that DOS 4.0 partitions are not recognized as such with Xenix

I had the same problem with DOS.  I suspect that your DOS partition is
larger than 32 meg.  Divvy up the DOS partition into at least 2 partitions
with the primary partition being less than 32 meg.  You will me able to
boot dos and use the doscp (et. al.) utilities.  Xenix will not recognize
the extended partition, however, so don't put anything there that you
would want to doscp into the Xenix partition.

Jeff Anderson                                        jeff@sporty.UUCP
H: 614-252-7563                                sporty!jeff@ursa-major.spdcc.com
W: 614-764-6222     B7 f+ t w dc g+ k+ s- e r        jaa@rsch.oclc.org

victor@alchemy.UUCP (Victor Michael) (06/15/91)

In article <324@sporty.UUCP> root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:
>In article <438@alchemy.UUCP> victor@alchemy.UUCP (Victor Michael) writes:
>> ****[other deleted]
>> I have heard that DOS 4.0 partitions are not recognized as such with Xenix

>I had the same problem with DOS.  I suspect that your DOS partition is
>larger than 32 meg.  Divvy up the DOS partition into at least 2 partitions
>with the primary partition being less than 32 meg.  You will me able to
>boot dos and use the doscp (et. al.) utilities.  Xenix will not recognize
>the extended partition, however, so don't put anything there that you
>would want to doscp into the Xenix partition.

>Jeff Anderson                                        jeff@sporty.UUCP

Jeff...
	Thank you for your helpful comments!
	Thanks also for the warning too.

Vic...

| ...!ucsd!ucrmath!alchemy!victor             |
| Public Access Unix BBS (714/278-0862)       |
| Communique On-Line Information System v1.00 |