[comp.unix.xenix.sco] T1000 question

eric@abode.ttank.com (Eric C. Bennett) (06/16/91)

I am using a Telebit T1000 as my polling modem. I seem to have a problem
with the phone sometimes detecting busy. On most system it would not
matter how long it takes to detect busy because it will eventually time
out. But, on the system I call, if the phone is busy for a long time it
will actually drop the caller who is online. It is a weird phone system.
The only remedy I have for this is to set the S07 register for 18
seconds so if the modem has not detected busy by then it just hangs up
because it didn't detect a carrier. You would think that within 18
seconds the modem would recognise a busy signal-but sometimes it doesn't.
The 18 seconds is becoming a problem because sometimes it takes longer
than that to connect to another system and it will end up hanging up on
the system just before it connects.

I have the modem set in enhanced command mode and the X register set
at X3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
--
     Eric C. Bennett     uucp: ..!uunet!cerritos!ttank!abode!eric
     El Monte, Ca    Internet: eric@abode.ttank.com

If you can read this you aren't looking through the hubble space telescope!

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun16.080653.1387@abode.ttank.com> eric@abode.ttank.com (Eric C. Bennett) writes:

>I am using a Telebit T1000 as my polling modem. I seem to have a problem
>with the phone sometimes detecting busy. On most system it would not
>matter how long it takes to detect busy because it will eventually time
>out. But, on the system I call, if the phone is busy for a long time it
>will actually drop the caller who is online. It is a weird phone system.

Sure sounds like it.  Sounds like there are two problems - the phone
system is sending an unusual busy signal (and the modem can't detect it
as a busy signal), and the phone system dumps the active caller.

There may not be much you can do about the first problem, but the second
one should definitely not be happening!  Not unless the owner of the
phone system actually WANTS it to dump callers like that!

>The only remedy I have for this is to set the S07 register for 18
>seconds so if the modem has not detected busy by then it just hangs up
>because it didn't detect a carrier. You would think that within 18
>seconds the modem would recognise a busy signal-but sometimes it doesn't.

The way I see it, there's no modem workaround for the problem you're
having.  It sounds like the phone system is presenting a busy signal
that the modem can't detect, and it's disconnecting the active caller.

>     Eric C. Bennett     uucp: ..!uunet!cerritos!ttank!abode!eric

--
 |  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |