[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Problem with SCO system V csh

jlevine@parc.xerox.com (James D. Levine) (06/20/91)

In trying to move some of my cshell scripts from SunOS to SCO SysV 386, I've encountered an annoying problem.  My usual way of reading from stdin to a variable no longer works-

set variable = $<

Now it gives a variable syntax error.  Does anybody know a workable construct for SCO?

Replies by email preferred.
James

jlevine.paloalto@xerox.com

reiner@estevax.UUCP (Reiner Plaum) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.212809.21504@parc.xerox.com> jlevine@parc.xerox.com (James D. Levine) writes:
>In trying to move some of my cshell scripts from SunOS to SCO SysV 386, I've encountered an annoying problem.  My usual way of reading from stdin to a variable no longer works-
>set variable = $<
>Now it gives a variable syntax error.  Does anybody know a workable construct for SCO?

Incomprehensibley, the variable $< is not implemented in the SCO csh.
You have to use the explict commands line or gets, e.g:
set variable = `line`

Reiner.