[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Problems with UUCP, UUX

rchattam@isis.cs.du.edu (King Chattam) (06/24/91)

Hi Netters,
  I am installing UUCP on my XENIX. When I uucp a file from my machine
to the neighbouring UNIX, I get the error msg "Can't get file status
for <file>". SCO Manual, under UUCP error messages does not explain
the file status errors. Is this produced by fstat() system call?
My files are queued in /usr/spool/uucp directory, but
/usr/spool/uucp/.Admins/errors contains the following msg

ASSERT ERROR (uucico) PID:..PERMISSIONS file:BAD OPTION--
  nuucp COMMANDS(13) [FILE: permission.C, LINE 470]
ASSERT ERROR (uuxqt) .... [FILE: permission.c, LINE:470]

I tried to grep permission.c to locate error at line 470 in it.
But there is no such file in the system!

If anyone out there had the same encounter with UUCP, could you
please e-mail to me the solution. Your help will be appreciated.

rchattam@nyx.cs.du.edu

stuart@tharr.UUCP (Stuart Tares) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun23.180039.25299@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> rchattam@nyx.cs.du.edu (King) writes:
>My files are queued in /usr/spool/uucp directory, but
>/usr/spool/uucp/.Admins/errors contains the following msg
>
>ASSERT ERROR (uucico) PID:..PERMISSIONS file:BAD OPTION--
>  nuucp COMMANDS(13) [FILE: permission.C, LINE 470]
>ASSERT ERROR (uuxqt) .... [FILE: permission.c, LINE:470]

I think that this maybe because of the way that the Permissions file is set
out.  It is very particular in the way that it is setup.  There must be a space
between the options ie if you have a Permissions file like this :

MACHINE=foo:bar LOGNAME=uucp\
READ=/ WRITE=/\
NOREAD=/usr/secret

you may see the problem as the carriage return means that there is no space
between uucp and READ.  I have found that a layout similar to below always
works:

MACHINE=foo:bar LOGNAME=uucp \
	READ=/ WRITE=/ \
	NOWRITE=/usr/secret

I hope this helps.

Stuart

--
 BOVIS CONSTRUCTION LTD        |  Tel:  +44 81 4223488 Fax: +44 81 4224055
 142 Northolt Road,            |  UUCP: ...mcsun!ukc!axion!tharr!stuart