[comp.unix.xenix.sco] SCO Unix 16-bit cards

johnw@group1.uucp (John Wheeler) (06/13/91)

After repeated calls to SCO, which, by the way, has the LONGEST
queing mechanism I've ever encountered, I have been able to find
_NO_ 16-bit cards supported by SCO Unix. CAN THIS BE TRUE? I find
it hard to believe that I can get 16-bit drivers for a simple MS-DOS
machine but *NOT* for our multi-gigabyte SCO hosts!!!!

Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?
(WD 8013 preferred)....

Thanks!
--
________  John Wheeler - Informix-4GL / SQL * Unix * Broadcast Audio Production
 \rrrr/   Group One Ltd.

ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.200105.5024@group1.UUCP> johnw@group1.uucp (John Wheeler) writes:

>Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?
>(WD 8013 preferred)....

I've been running WD8013's under 3.2v2 and ODT 1.1 for quite some
time.  The boards are recognised at boot time as 8013's (and not
8003's) and the drivers see the additional memory (16k as opposed to
8k).  I've never done any empirical tests to determine how much faster
the '13's are than the '03's, but they do seem to be supported.

In addition, I recall at least one of the supported 3Com boards is
16-bit (3c505?).  I've never used it, though, as we we're soured on
3Com after the 3c301 and 3c503 cards.

Lastly, I'm under the vauge recollection that Racal makes a 16-bit
ethernet card for SCO using their own drivers.  Memory might be
failing me, though.

--

	ken seefried iii	"I'll have what the gentleman
	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu	 on the floor is having..."

jimm@ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.200105.5024@group1.UUCP> johnw@group1.uucp (John Wheeler) writes:
>After repeated calls to SCO, which, by the way, has the LONGEST
>queing mechanism I've ever encountered, I have been able to find
>_NO_ 16-bit cards supported by SCO Unix. CAN THIS BE TRUE? I find
>it hard to believe that I can get 16-bit drivers for a simple MS-DOS
>machine but *NOT* for our multi-gigabyte SCO hosts!!!!
>
>Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?
>(WD 8013 preferred)....

Racal Interlan has a driver for both ISC and SCO for the NI6510.  It

In article <1991Jun12.215148.6484@ima.isc.com> jimm@ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) writes:

>Racal Interlan has a driver for both ISC and SCO for the NI6510.  It

That got truncated somehow.  This is what I meant to post.

Racal Interlan has a driver for both ISC and SCO for the NI6510.  It
works with Interactive Unix, but I haven't tried it with SCO :^).

Jim

mjw@wasp.eng.ufl.edu (Michael J. Wohlgemuth) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.200105.5024@group1.UUCP> johnw@group1.uucp (John Wheeler) writes:

>Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?

When we got our copy of SCO TCP/IP, it had 3 drivers with it.  Two
were supported (wd8003e & 3c503) and one was unsupported (3c505).
I don't have a 3c505, so I don't know how well the unsupported
driver works, but it is there.  It may be that they aren't telling
you simply because they don't support it.  Anyway, it is pretty
pathetic that we can't get a supported 16-bit driver from them.

Mike

jel@xerver.data.nokia.fi (Jerry Lahti) (06/14/91)

SCO TCP/IP 1.1.3 (and probably also ODT 1.1) contains a driver for
Western Digital adapters which recognizes a WD8013.  It has worked
without problems in our machine and the performance is much better
than with 3COM Etherlink II (TCP throughput is over 300 KB/sec against
at most 180 KB/sec with Etherlink II).  The driver which came with
the older TCP/IP versions supported only the 8-bit WD adapters.

uwek@yedik.han.de (Uwe Kallmeyer) (06/14/91)

johnw@group1.uucp (John Wheeler) writes:
>Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?

Yes. Me. The german company "Schneider &  Koch"  sells  a  16-Bit
"G16"-card.   They  also  supply  drivers  for this card for SCO,
Interactive an AT&T. I ordered one and expect to test it in july.
So mail me around end of july for details.

	uwek

>Thanks!
You're welcome.

--
char name[] = "      Uwe Kallmeyer, Wendenring 32, D-3300 Braunschweig      ";
char uucp[] = "            uwek@yedik.han.de || Ph.: 0531-344841            ";

dale@interlan.Interlan.COM (Dale B) (06/15/91)

>In article <1991Jun12.215148.6484@ima.isc.com> jimm@ima.isc.com (Jim McGrath) writes:
>>>
>>Racal Interlan has a driver for both ISC and SCO for the NI6510.  It
>>
>That got truncated somehow.  This is what I meant to post.
>
>Racal Interlan has a driver for both ISC and SCO for the NI6510.  It
>works with Interactive Unix, but I haven't tried it with SCO :^).
>
>Jim

It works just as well with SCO as it does with ISC, and hopefully that's
perfectly!
Dale

dale@interlan.Interlan.COM (Dale B) (06/15/91)

>After repeated calls to SCO, which, by the way, has the LONGEST
>queing mechanism I've ever encountered, I have been able to find
>_NO_ 16-bit cards supported by SCO Unix. CAN THIS BE TRUE? I find
>it hard to believe that I can get 16-bit drivers for a simple MS-DOS
>machine but *NOT* for our multi-gigabyte SCO hosts!!!!
>
>Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?
>(WD 8013 preferred)....
>

>Thanks!
>--
>________  John Wheeler - Informix-4GL / SQL * Unix * Broadcast Audio Production
> \rrrr/   Group One Ltd.
>   \/     San Francisco

Email to you bounced.  Anyway, last I heared SCO was supposed to be supporting
the NI6510, a 16 bit bus master card from Racal InterLan that is supposedly the
fastest 16 bit ethernet card on the market.  You get an SCO STREAMS driver with
the card.  If you can't get any info out of SCO, call us at 800-LAN-TALK or
drop me some email at dale@interlan.interlan.com.
Dale

chrisdu@sco.COM (Chris Durham) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun12.200105.5024@group1.UUCP> johnw@group1.uucp (John Wheeler) writes:
>Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?
>(WD 8013 preferred)....

SCO provides the LLI Driver EFS (Link Level Interface Driver Enhanced Feature
Supplement), for SCO TCP/IP 1.1.3 and Open Desktop 1.1. This disk contains
a driver for the Western Digital 16 bit Elite series ethernet cards, as
well as a driver for the Excelan 205T ethernet card.

You can order this EFS through your normal sales channels or directly from
SCO Telesales at 1-800-SCO-UNIX....

>Thanks!

You're welcome

--
Chris Durham					chrisdu@sco.COM
Technical Support				...!{uunet,ucscc}!sco!chrisdu

"'cause you either live life, bruises, skinned knees and all, or you
turn your back on it and start dying."

			-Captain Christopher Pike, _Star Trek_ "The Cage"

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (06/18/91)

In <1991Jun12.200105.5024@group1.UUCP> johnw@group1.uucp (John Wheeler) writes:

>After repeated calls to SCO, which, by the way, has the LONGEST
>queing mechanism I've ever encountered, I have been able to find
>_NO_ 16-bit cards supported by SCO Unix. CAN THIS BE TRUE? I find
>it hard to believe that I can get 16-bit drivers for a simple MS-DOS
>machine but *NOT* for our multi-gigabyte SCO hosts!!!!

>Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?
>(WD 8013 preferred)....

Try the Racal-Interlan NI6510.  The drivers are available from Interlan
themselves.  Apparently, some data-comms magazine rated the NI6510 as
the best performing 16bit ethernet card a while back (sorry, can't
quote the exact magazine or date).  I've used them quite a bit and
can safely say that they work pretty well :-)

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                          -

In <1991Jun12.200105.5024@group1.UUCP> johnw@group1.uucp (John Wheeler) writes:

| After repeated calls to SCO, which, by the way, has the LONGEST
| queing mechanism I've ever encountered, I have been able to find
| _NO_ 16-bit cards supported by SCO Unix. CAN THIS BE TRUE? I find
| it hard to believe that I can get 16-bit drivers for a simple MS-DOS
| machine but *NOT* for our multi-gigabyte SCO hosts!!!!

| Does ANYBODY know of any 16-bit drivers for SCO Unix?
| (WD 8013 preferred)....

  But... we run them with Xenix! The latest version of ODT is supposed
to have the current TCP. We haven't done the upgrade on any of the
machines with 8013s yet, but we sure assume that they will work.

  If they don't we won't upgrade the Xenix machines, and SCO will get
about a dozen copies of ODT back with some rude restocking suggestions.
  GE Corp R&D Center, Information Systems Operation, tech support group
  Moderator comp.binaries.ibm.pc and 386-users digest.