[comp.unix.xenix.sco] Trouble to install Tape Backup System

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (06/26/91)

In article <15136@ector.cs.purdue.edu> wu@cs.purdue.EDU (Po-ting Wu) writes:
>	Recently I purchased a Colorado Jumbo 120 MB Tape Backup System. And
>	I have trouble to use it for SCO Xenix 2.3.2	(I tried to use
>	"mkdev tape" to install it with all possible combined options and
>	still not work - even let the tape move.)

We have used the Colorado 120 MB Tape Drive successfully on SCO Xenix
2.3.2 on several sites and what you need is their utility diskette.
It is available for seperate purchase.  CMS P/N:  SU-53J
Retail Price:  $199.95

Seems to work fine, as we have had not problems in the field.  They
even include the instructions for creating a rootable/bootable recovery
diskette in their manual.  All of our sites are connected to the controller
version of the tape drive (for speed reasons) and not thru the floppy
interface.

Hope this helps.

--

wu@cs.purdue.EDU (Po-ting Wu) (06/27/91)

	Recently I purchased a Colorado Jumbo 120 MB Tape Backup System. And
	I have trouble to use it for SCO Xenix 2.3.2	(I tried to use
	"mkdev tape" to install it with all possible combined options and
	still not work - even let the tape move.)

	Does any one have the experience for installing this type of Tape, and
	know where I can get some utilities for this Tape from ftp, please
	E-mail to me. Thanks !

	The Tape format is QIC-40 (20 tracks, 10,000 FRPI) and the
	communication is QIC-117 Common Command Set

	The Tape (Floppy) Controller is AT compatible floppy controller,
	encoding with MFM.

	Po-Ting Wu
	wu@ector.cs.purdue.edu

alan@ahmcs.uucp (Alan Mintz) (06/28/91)

This is going to get me flamed, but I just have to...

In article <575@consult.UUCP>, bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:
) We have used the Colorado 120 MB Tape Drive successfully on SCO Xenix
) 2.3.2 on several sites and what you need is their utility diskette.
) It is available for seperate purchase.  CMS P/N:  SU-53J
) Retail Price:  $199.95
                 ^^^^^^^
This is highway robbery! $200.00 for a disk, just to make their damn drive
work with a real operating system ?

Abolish floppy tapes in your lifetime! Call 800-KILL-CMS for more info.
--
< Alan H. Mintz  | alan@ahmcs.mq.com | ...!uunet!ahmcs!alan >

dljarvis@lynx.cat.syr.edu (David Jarvis) (06/28/91)

Greetings ... I also use Colorado 120meg Jumbo Tape Drives with Xenix ...
the installation procedure is as follows:

1: use custom to install the 'jtape' drivers, which should come with
   the tape drive ... if they didn't, you can get a copy from Colorado
   Memory Systems free of charge ... (if you need the number email me
   directly and I'll find it for you, it's in the database *somewhere* ;-) )
2: do a 'mkdev jtape' to install the driver into the kernel and relink ...
   (note JTAPE not TAPE)
   also note it is normal for the message "removing jtape driver" to
   appear before the line "adding jtape driver" ... dunno why ... but that's
   what the manual says ...

Regards,
/David
dljarvis@cat.syr.edu

dljarvis@lynx.cat.syr.edu (David Jarvis) (06/29/91)

No flames from me Alan ... I'm a bit confused on the issue tho ...
perhaps someone at SCO or someone else who *knows* can straighten
it out for us ... certainly *I* did not pay $199 for my jtape drivers,
nor did a single one of our clients (we've put a *ton* of these little
babies out there, they're the best) ... were I to hazard a guess tho,
the scenario would go like this:  with the drive you get the jtape
drivers to link into the kernel, at no cost ... for $199 (retail of course)
you can get the drivers along with some nifty menuing software to
do your tar/cpio for you ... but again I could be mistaken ...

Regards,
David
(I really must do a .sig one of these days)

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (06/30/91)

In <15136@ector.cs.purdue.edu> wu@cs.purdue.EDU (Po-ting Wu) writes:

 	Recently I purchased a Colorado Jumbo 120 MB Tape Backup System. And
 	I have trouble to use it for SCO Xenix 2.3.2	(I tried to use
 	"mkdev tape" to install it with all possible combined options and
 	still not work - even let the tape move.)

The last time I used these drives (about a year ago) you had to
type ``mkdev jtape'', not ``mkdev tape'' to install the CMS
drivers.  At that time you couldn't access the tape drive from a
boot floppy because their drivers couldn't handle the tape unless
booted from the hard disk.

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way