[comp.unix.large] Tapes

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (09/12/90)

I wrote:

>>Does anyone have a decent ANSI magtape utility for Unix?
>
>We use something called 'ansitape', written by David Hayes, which was
>posted as Volume 8 issues 99-100 of mod.sources.  I believe it can be
>found in the cannonical comp.sources.unix archives in volume 8.
>
>We have found this tool to work very well for reading and writing
>ANSI-format tapes.

I thank David for the response.  Yes, I have the ansitape program from
the archives, and a series of other tape programs from the kermit
archives and a few others that I have gathered over the years.  They all
get varying amounts of use.

The real fun though, (and I probably misspoke myself above) is that more
often we have tapes from an EBCDIC environment.  In most cases, the
EBCDIC tapes have labels that are ansi compatible, but are encoded in
EBCDIC instead of ascii.  Additionally, the programs I have seen are all
level 2 or worse in terms of label standard.  I could live with level 3,
but level 4 would be wonderful!

We are going to try writing our own, and I may be able to publish it
here on the net, but I would like to avoid reinventing the wheel.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

ggs@ulysses.att.com (Griff Smith) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep12.162503.3778@wolves.uucp>, ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
> The real fun though, (and I probably misspoke myself above) is that more
> often we have tapes from an EBCDIC environment.  In most cases, the
> EBCDIC tapes have labels that are ansi compatible, but are encoded in
> EBCDIC instead of ascii.  Additionally, the programs I have seen are all
> level 2 or worse in terms of label standard.  I could live with level 3,
> but level 4 would be wonderful!
|
> We are going to try writing our own, and I may be able to publish it
> here on the net, but I would like to avoid reinventing the wheel.
| --
| Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
| UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]
| Domain: ggw@cds.duke.edu     ggw%wolves@mcnc.mcnc.org
| [The line eater is a boojum snark! ]           <standard disclaimers apply>

The AT&T ToolChest has a package of tools for interpreting EBCDIC tapes.
It's mostly aimed at tapes generated by COBOL or PL/1.  Part of the
package is a program generator that writes custom translation programs.
Label processing is included, but the only labels it pays attention to
are {VOL,HDR,EOV,EOF}1 and {HDR,EOV,EOF}2.
--
Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		1-201-582-7736