[comp.unix.large] Looking for Disk farm / carousel system

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (09/14/90)

We are looking for a way to have *lots* of disk availible on
line.  We currently have approx 15 Gig, but may need to go
as high as 100 Gig.

Does anyone have any suggestions on different storage devices/methods
to use?

I saw a presentation some time ago on a system that looked very neat.
It was an optical disk carousel that "staged" files to a hard disk
and then to ram with a LRU algorithm.  The device itself looked
like a standard NFS server to the net.

The company was started by the founders of Data General.  Does anyone
know the name of this company?  Has anyone had experience with them?

Thanks!
--
Mark Harrison             harrison@necssd.NEC.COM
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison

mathisen@dali.cs.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen) (09/16/90)

In article <437@necssd.NEC.COM> harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) writes:
>I saw a presentation some time ago on a system that looked very neat.
>It was an optical disk carousel that "staged" files to a hard disk
>and then to ram with a LRU algorithm.  The device itself looked
>like a standard NFS server to the net.
>
>The company was started by the founders of Data General.  Does anyone
>know the name of this company?  Has anyone had experience with them?

One company which does this is: (I just got a mail blurb...)

epoch systems, Inc.
8 Technology Drive
Westborough, MA 01581

I think there's a company called Auspex that has the same thing...