machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) (09/08/90)

Halt! Who goes there?
Is anyone out here?

--

Miguel A. Ramirez, | machina@uts.amdahl.com | {sun,uunet}!amdahl!machina

huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) (09/09/90)

>Halt! Who goes there?
>Is anyone out here?

I do...  What I want to know is what is this newsgroup for?  And who created it?

brad
	huntting@boulder.colorado.edu

meadb@boulder.Colorado.EDU (MEAD BENNETT ROSS) (09/09/90)

In article <25894@boulder.Colorado.EDU> huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:
>>Halt! Who goes there?
>>Is anyone out here?
>
>I do...  What I want to know is what is this newsgroup for?  And who created it?

And where did they run off to after they created it? :-)   I'm pretty sure this
isn't in the (nonexistant? unpublished?)  charter...  :-) :-)

|  |  meadb%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
 |  |  | meadb!tramp!boulder!ncar....   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
  |  |  |  |meadb!tramp!boulder!sunybcs!rutgers...|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (09/09/90)

In article <25894@boulder.Colorado.EDU> huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:
>>Halt! Who goes there?
>>Is anyone out here?
>
>I do...  What I want to know is what is this newsgroup for?  And who created it?

Obviously.. it's for discussing large Eunuch's.  Now.. just *what*
is a large Eunuch?  I dunno.. mebbe we can discuss that tooo...

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster) (09/09/90)

machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) writes:

>Halt! Who goes there?
>Is anyone out here?

>--

>Miguel A. Ramirez, | machina@uts.amdahl.com | {sun,uunet}!amdahl!machina

Hey, I saw your message, what is comp.unix.large anyway? Should it
be a news file for LARGE Unix systems or systems with LARGE UNIXs
or those who think Unix is AT large? or is it a play on words in
that this is supposed to be a LARGE news file on UNIX, maybe we
should rename it to comp.unix.very.small :-)

Dale Lancaster
Convex Computer Corporation
(We make LARGE Unix Systems that run a LARGE Unix :-)
dale@c1east.convex.com

root@pfm.rmt.sub.org (Bernd Hennig) (09/09/90)

machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) writes:

>Halt! Who goes there?
>Is anyone out here?
Yes ! But is this the right newsgroup for this question ?

--
Bernd Hennig - Systemverw. PFM 		         bernd@pfm.rmt.sub.org
PFM UNIX Mail Server RHEIN/MAIN/TAUNUS, Mainz    root@pfm.rmt.sub.org

lowa@imtws3.im.se (Leif-Olof Wallin IMT) (09/10/90)

In article <7914@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

   In article <25894@boulder.Colorado.EDU> huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:
   >>Halt! Who goes there?
   >>Is anyone out here?
   >
   >I do...  What I want to know is what is this newsgroup for?  And who created it?

   Obviously.. it's for discussing large Eunuch's.  Now.. just *what*
   is a large Eunuch?  I dunno.. mebbe we can discuss that tooo...

How about the following definition just to get the discussion started:

--
     Leif-Olof Wallin             |  lowa@im.se
     Industri-Matematik Teknik AB |

james@dlss2.UUCP (James Cummings) (09/10/90)

>Is anyone out here?

	Yes...we...are...here...
--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
|Disclaimer:                      | James Cummings                           |

barn@convex.com (Tim Barney) (09/10/90)

I suggest that any UNIX is a large OS. Networking code seems to add quite
a bit, and then there's all the "frills" we take for granted nowadays such
as semaphored kernels, virtual memory, etc.  Thus, this group must refer to
LARGE systems running UNIX. Amdahl and Convex certainly qualify in that
regard.

The uniqueness of running UNIX on a large system, as opposed to a workstation
or mini (does anybody make a mini anymore? Or are there only supermicros,
superminis, and supersomethings?) might lie in the hardware capabilities and
operating environment. Some things that come to mind are the large sizes
of RAM in a "large" system (512MB, 1GB), the large disk arrays (50-100+ GB),
sheer number of concurrent users, length (that's langth for my friend Dale)
of jobs (implied need for checkpoint/restart), and the system administration
tools required for a computer room type of operation as opposed to a deskside
operation.

Now, who wants to discuss these issues concerning LARGE systems (even ignoring
the absence of a definition for LARGE)? Some one must have wanted to, because
these newsgroup never get created without some voting. Maybe there's a lot
of LARGE UNIX system spectators waiting for a game to start?....... :-)

Tim Barney
Convex Computer Corporation
barn@convex.com

dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster) (09/10/90)

Maybe the "large" in comp.unix.large is an acronym.  Let's see:

l - loosely
a - arranged
r - reasonable
g - graphical
e - environment

dml

lars@iclswe.icl.se (Lars Tunkrans) (09/11/90)

machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) writes:

>Halt! Who goes there?
>Is anyone out here?

No, no ,no wrong question.  According to Jean Paul Satre the basic philosphic
question is:

      Why is there anything at all ?

You must have had a too large dose of Pink Floyds "The Wall".
Lars Tunkrans  Phone +46 (0)76096368. |  The ICL DRS6000 SPARC system is still
      DRS Systems Support.            |  the only off the shelf deliverable
UUCP: uunet!mcsun!sunic!iclswe!lars   |  Unix System V Release 4.0 system.
DOMAIN Address : lars@iclswe.icl.se   |

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (09/11/90)

In article <7914@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
=In article <25894@boulder.Colorado.EDU> huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:
=>>Halt! Who goes there?
=>>Is anyone out here?
=>
=>I do...  What I want to know is what is this newsgroup for?  And who created it?
=
=Obviously.. it's for discussing large Eunuch's.  Now.. just *what*
=is a large Eunuch?  I dunno.. mebbe we can discuss that tooo...

6'5", 280 lbs., I guess.

Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (09/11/90)

The difference is that when things get big you eventually hit a
paradigm shift in the management of those resources. You can't manage
a big system by simply doing what you do for small systems, only more
of it.

Consider when you get to the point that you can't perform a daily
backup in less than 24 hours. Obviously something would have to
change, more of the same won't cut it.

If you think that's ludicrous, there are terabyte Unix systems out
there. That's 10^12 bytes. If 10% needed to be backed up every day
that would be 10^11 bytes. At about 2x10^8/tape we get 500 full tapes
per day. If there were one tape drive that would leave about 3 minutes
per tape to get it done in exactly 24 hours (and then start again.)  5
tape drives running full blast simultaneously, a more realistic 15
minutes per tape, and it still takes 10 hours to do a lousy daily
incremental. And you have 500 tapes per day to manage!

Clearly things do not scale linearly as systems get large, completely
different management and technology strategies must be employed.

It is those different strategies that I would hope this group were
interested in. Where are the discontinuities? How does one manage
them?
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (09/11/90)

From article <7914@gollum.twg.com>, by david@twg.com (David S. Herron):
> In article <25894@boulder.Colorado.EDU> huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:
> Obviously.. it's for discussing large Eunuch's.  Now.. just *what*
> is a large Eunuch?  I dunno.. mebbe we can discuss that tooo...

	Haven't you heard of AIX. Approximately 80 Mbyte seems
large to me.

Geoff Coleman

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (09/11/90)

In article <dale.652982157@convex.convex.com> dale@convex.com (Dale Lancaster) writes:
>Maybe the "large" in comp.unix.large is an acronym.  Let's see:

I think it's an anti-FSF group, to wit,

l - let's
a - all
r - run,
g - GNU's
e - everywhere!
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW		cci632!ccird2!tvf@uunet.uu.net
	tvf1477@ma.isc.rit.edu      atexnet!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf@uunet.uu.net

doc@tera.com (Dan Cummings) (09/12/90)

In <LOWA.90Sep10084454@imtws3.im.se> lowa@imtws3.im.se (Leif-Olof Wallin IMT) writes:

>How about the following definition just to get the discussion started:

>	> 200 users
>	> 10 GB of disk
>	> 50 Mips

All right,  I'm game.   Just for starters I would say that this is
not a very well balanced system by today's standards.   I am biased in
this statement by a long term involvement with supercomputer Unix
implementations.   More than 200 users implies that you have a fair
chunk of memory.   With this much memory 10GB of disk is probably
inadequate.   50 mips is probably also inadequate.   The Cray-2
at NERSC in Livermore california supports 200 users at a time as
do,  I believe,  the YMP installations at NASA Ames and the YMP
at San Diego Supercomputer Center.   Is this the class of machine we
are talking about?   If so then this is a supercomputer Unix
forum.   Such a forum is worthwhile now that there are other contenders
besides Cray research in this market.

Dan Cummings
Tera Computer Company
doc@tera.com

david@mlacus.oz (David Letcher) (09/13/90)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

>In article <25894@boulder.Colorado.EDU> huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:
>>>Halt! Who goes there?
>>>Is anyone out here?
>>
>>I do...  What I want to know is what is this newsgroup for?  And who created it?

>Obviously.. it's for discussing large Eunuch's.  Now.. just *what*
>is a large Eunuch?  I dunno.. mebbe we can discuss that tooo...

The large Eunuch is merely the adult form of the small eunuch :->.

-DL

----If my company had these opinions -- they'd be outa business !

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (09/13/90)

>How about the following definition just to get the discussion started:

>	> 200 users
>	> 10 GB of disk
>	> 50 Mips

I don't want to define large either, but then I especially don't
want any person who thinks a VAX-11/780 is or was a mainframe to
denote what large is less so (it ain't).  You should be thinking
Giga everything, planning Tera-[not the company] for the near future,
and you have gone to look up the next set of prefixes from a dictionary
(e.g., eta, peta, eka).

If you have to ask to define, you aren't there yet. 8^)

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene
  50 MIPS? you can get that on one of the new vector multiprocessor
  single user workstations.....

david@marvin.jpl.oz (David Magnay) (09/18/90)

This group is a relation to the famous button, that was put there to see what
happens when you press it.

You never know. Much more of this sort of talk and we might make some progress
on the REAL questions of life, the Universe,.. .

Reminds me of the story, of old Ronny Raygun being asked by his aide

	"How do you KNOW that the red button doesn't work"

Famous last words
	"We start bombing in five minutes"
	"Read my lips"