[comp.unix.large] Wanted: a batch system with controls.

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (09/25/90)

We run an SGI 4D/240 with about 1000 registered users and are looking
for a PD batch system that can:
   1/ schedule several queues of jobs.
   2/ each queue should be able to
         a/ be stopped and started automatically at arbitrary times.
         b/ impose both maximun and default limits for various resources.
   3/ Users shoul be able to
         a/ submit jobs to queues for processing.
         b/ check where their job is in relation to other jobs in the queue
	 c/ cancle their own jobs.

I wrote such a system for our IBM VM system. It is in C and the model should
transport reasonably well to UNIX. However I am very busy, aren't we all :-),
and would rather pick up something that already works.

I saw a reference to a batch system that was available on pemrac.space.swri.edu
but when I looked there I could not find it.

Does anybody know of a PD batch system for UNIX, pref SYSV but we now have
most of the common Berkley features as extentions?

Is any body else interested in using our batch system if I decide to get it
going?

Cheers Russelll.
--

karl@uts.amdahl.com (Karl Rowley) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep24.233728.6284@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) writes:
>We run an SGI 4D/240 with about 1000 registered users and are looking
>for a PD batch system that can:
>
>Does anybody know of a PD batch system for UNIX, pref SYSV but we now have
>most of the common Berkley features as extentions?

Have you heard of NQS (the Network Queueing System)?  It was developed
by NASA Ames Research Center, and it has become somewhat of a standard
for a Unix batch system.

It is not quite public domain -- the source costs $6000.  Once you have it
and have added some value to it, there is no per license charge for
redistribution.  Contact:  Cosmic, The University of Georgia, 382 East
Broad St., Athens, Georgia  30602, telephone (404) 542-3265.  I think you
can get the documentation without buying the entire package.

Good luck.

                                        Karl Rowley
                                        UTS Development
                                        Amdahl Corp.