[comp.unix.admin] Ditroff

colflgg@hubcap.clemson.edu (john f passafiume) (08/30/90)

We have a campus-wide license for System V and would like to get access
to ditroff. We understand that we can send copy of cover page of license
(the page with signatures) and small amount of $$ to Berkeley and we
will get ditroff, pic and other stuff. Can anyone help with FAX number
to Berkeley so that we can expedite request.

mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) (08/31/90)

In article <10266@hubcap.clemson.edu> colflgg@hubcap.clemson.edu (john f passafiume) writes:
>We have a campus-wide license for System V and would like to get access
>to ditroff. We understand that we can send copy of cover page of license
>(the page with signatures) and small amount of $$ to Berkeley and we
>will get ditroff, pic and other stuff. Can anyone help with FAX number
>to Berkeley so that we can expedite request.

Actually you might try groff (GNU roff), which is a direct replacement
for ditroff, pic, tbl, eqn, and transcript, and is FREE.  I don't know
about portability to SysV, but it's worth a try.  It's available via
ftp from gatekeeper.dec.com (16.1.0.2).  We've installed and tested
it and are quite pleased.

Mike

--
 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.USS.TEK.COM
 Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!tektronix!puffin!raven!mike

jim@nature.berkeley.edu (08/31/90)

In article <10266@hubcap.clemson.edu> colflgg@hubcap.clemson.edu (john f passafiume) writes:
>We have a campus-wide license for System V and would like to get access
>to ditroff. We understand that we can send copy of cover page of license
>(the page with signatures) and small amount of $$ to Berkeley and we
>will get ditroff, pic and other stuff. Can anyone help with FAX number
>to Berkeley so that we can expedite request.

Contact:

  Campus Software Office
  2320 Shattuck Ave, Suite B
  Berkeley CA 94704
  (415)-643-7201
  FAX: (415)-642-4566
  email: domino@garnet.berkeley.edu

They sell "UCSF Enhanced troff/Transcript 2.2",  which is much improved
over the raw AT&T and Adobe products.  (BTW, this is ditroff, not troff.)

Unfortunately you must have SOURCE licenses for both troff and Transcript,
if you want to buy this package.  And they want REAL proof!

Cost is $400.00 per mini-computer, or $800.00 per workstation-cluster.
Not cheap by the time you factor in the cost of the AT&T/Adobe source
licenses.

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (09/01/90)

In article <6486@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) writes:
=
=Actually you might try groff (GNU roff), which is a direct replacement
=for ditroff, pic, tbl, eqn, and transcript, and is FREE.  I don't know
=about portability to SysV, but it's worth a try.  It's available via
=ftp from gatekeeper.dec.com (16.1.0.2).  We've installed and tested
=it and are quite pleased.

	Isn't groff written in C++?
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (09/01/90)

In article <6486@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> mike@raven.uss.tek.com (Mike Ewan) writes:

>Actually you might try groff (GNU roff), which is a direct replacement
>for ditroff, pic, tbl, eqn, and transcript, and is FREE.  I don't know
>about portability to SysV, but it's worth a try.  It's available via
>ftp from gatekeeper.dec.com (16.1.0.2).  We've installed and tested
>it and are quite pleased.
>
>Mike
>
>--
> Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468      Internet:  mike@raven.USS.TEK.COM
> Unix Systems Support                   UUCP:  ...!tektronix!puffin!raven!mike
> Tektronix, Inc.                  Compuserve:  73747,2304
>"Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches/sec."--J. Hart

Works fine under SysV/386 be warned it is written in c++ so you will need
g++ which needs gcc.

I have it running under ESIX and Interactive.

--
It is easier to build a   | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
secure system than it is  | 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (09/02/90)

In article <1990Sep1.143205.17957@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
	   Isn't groff written in C++?

Yes.  So if you don't have a C++ compiler sitting around, you should
also get g++.

(And he's right, groff is a very nice package, one worth installing
g++ for)
--
Rich Kaul                         | It wouldn't be research if we
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    | knew what we were doing.

zoo@grumpy.spa.umn.edu (david d [zoo] zuhn) (09/04/90)

Mark == markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM

Someone> Isn't groff written in C++?

Mark> It sure is. In fact, it is also dependent upon libg++. I expect that
Mark> compilation by a C++ compiler other than g++ would be substantial work.
Mark> G++ does work with SysV so you might have a chance.  Groff does seem to
Mark> work quite well and as a bonus includes an X11 previewer.  It also has
Mark> an option to produce dvi format (as well as postscript, of course) so
Mark> it should be usable with all sorts of printers.

Sorry.  My libg++ is a minimal subset (gnulib3.o and xyzzy.o), which
is the same as the libg++ used for development of groff (according to
the docs).  Everything worked just fine.

This is from the groff 0.4 INSTALL file:

  Groff has been compiled on a Sun 4 under SunOS 4.0.3 with g++ 1.37.1
  and with AT&T C++ 2.0, and on a 386 PC under 386/ix 2.0.1 with g++
  1.37.1 configured to use gas and GNU ld.  You may encounter problems
  on other machines that I cannot anticipate.

  If you are using g++, you will need to install the header files from
  libg++.  The only other parts of libg++ used by groff are contained in
  the files xyzzy.c and gnulib3.c; the libg++.a that I use contains only
  xyzzy.o and gnulib3.o.

david d [zoo] zuhn		Univ. of Minnesota Dept. of Astronomy
zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu		Automated Plate Scanner	Project