[comp.unix.admin] Removing a file

havens@handel.cs.colostate.edu (Mark Havens) (09/22/90)

I read past article on removing stubborn files, but I've got a situation
for ya here.

I tried 'find . -inum # -exec rm {} \;'
and it said : /filename 700? remove?
and I said yes, and it said: 'file not removed. Text file busy'

What does that mean, and how can I get rid of that file...rm -ri doesn't
work either.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Havens

Mark Havens               | _   /|  -ACK!    | mhavens@longs.lance.colostate.edu
(303) 484-9317            | \'o.O'  -PFHHHT! | havens@handel.cs.colostate.edu
1117 City Park Ave. - B8  | =(___)= -COUGH!  | "Always pay attention to the
Ft. Collins, CO  80521    |    U    -ACK!    |  man behind the curtain!"

In article <9618@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> havens@handel.cs.colostate.edu (Mark Havens) writes:
>I tried 'find . -inum # -exec rm {} \;'
>and it said : /filename 700? remove?
>and I said yes, and it said: 'file not removed. Text file busy'

This means that the file you are trying to remove is an executable that
is currently being executed (or has the sticky bit set and was executed
sometime since the last boot).

On your system you cannot remove this file until it is no longer busy (i.e.
whoever is using it stops, or a system reboot, etc).  I say "on your system"
because this is not the case for all systems.

If you neet to get rid of the file because you want to install new software,
you can mv it to another name on the same filesystem and then copy in a new
file in it's place.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170