[comp.unix.admin] Roff

suran@nff.ncl.omron.co.jp (Suran de SILVA) (09/17/90)

Would anyone know how to get a postscript file from the
unix document formatter, roff?  I need a postscript file so
that I can get a hardcopy of my documents out on a postscript
printer.

Regards Suran,
suran@nff.ncl.omron.co.jp

dick@cca.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (09/18/90)

In article <SURAN.90Sep17093447@othello.nff.ncl.omron.co.jp> suran@nff.ncl.omron.co.jp (Suran de SILVA) writes:

>Would anyone know how to get a postscript file from the
>unix document formatter, roff?  I need a postscript file so
>that I can get a hardcopy of my documents out on a postscript
>printer.

We license Transcript for our campus to handle the conversion of
troff documents into PostScript for the same reason.

Dick

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (09/18/90)

   Would anyone know how to get a postscript file from the
   unix document formatter, roff?  I need a postscript file so
   that I can get a hardcopy of my documents out on a postscript
   printer.

There are two good choices.  First, you can get Adobe Transcript.  A
site license runs about $3000 and is a far better deal than Sun's
$2000 per machine for a *binary* copy.  It might be worth it if you
want a company to stand behind its product and need someone to blame
when, not if, things go wrong ;-).  If you don't need so much
hand-holding, GNU's groff is a slightly better solution.  It has
things like GNU clones of eqn, pic, tbl, etc., generates PostScript,
DVI, or other formats, and comes with X11 previewers.  Best of all,
it's got the right price (free).  The only gotcha with groff is that
you have to have a C++ compiler, but GNU also has g++, a free C++
compiler that's quite good.  Having both Transcript and groff
installed, I tend to use the GNU product.

Groff is available for anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu and
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (amoung other places) and anonymous uucp from
osu-cis.

-rich
--
Rich Kaul                         | It wouldn't be research if we
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    | knew what we were doing.

klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) (09/26/90)

You might also check out XROFF by Image Network in Mountain View, CA.

I have it running and it does a lot more than just produce POSTSCRIPT.

It can produce formatted code files for C, Csh, SH and I think Fortran.

It can produce output from TROFF/NROFF for POSTSCRIPT printers as well
as HP Laserjets and I think other printers, which is why we got it. It
is a nice program, our price was under $1500.00. But you really should
talk to Judy @ 415-967-0542 about prices. XROFF is unbundled and so the
prices vary. Tell Judy that Kevin sent you...

-Kevin
--
-Kevin L. Gross          Systems Mgr.           klg@Summation.WA.COM
 As long as the systems are up, my employers don't care what I think

"Obviously, I am dealing with inferior mentalities."   -  Daffy Duck