[comp.unix.admin] batch system available soon

gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (09/25/90)

I have seen recently in these newsgroups several requests for batch systems.
We have one, it runs on any BSD-like Unix.  We will probably be making the
source available for anonymous FTP some time soon.  If there is sufficient
interest, we may also post the code to comp.sources.unix.

It does:
	management of any number of queues
		queues can have the following attributes:
			max number of jobs running simultaneously
			load-sensitive scheduling
			niceness
			limits on various resources (cpu time, file size, etc)
	mailing of job completion status and output
	querying of queues
	job cancellation

 -Guy Middleton, University of Waterloo		gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu
		(+1 519 885 1211 x3472)		gamiddleton@watmath.uwaterloo.ca

bglenden@mandrill.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) (09/26/90)

I have used what I believe is an earlier version of this software, and
it works very well and I'd encourage the authors to submit it to
c.s.u.

I wonder if the net-at-large has any information about the status of
NQS, i.e. is there a version that is both freely redistributable and
reasonably portable. I keep hearing different things. Thanks!

Brian
--
       Brian Glendenning - National Radio Astronomy Observatory
bglenden@nrao.edu          bglenden@nrao.bitnet          (804) 296-0286

adrian@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Adrian P. van Bloois) (09/26/90)

Yes, there is a version of NQS freely available from pemrac.space.swri.edu
by anonymous ftp in ./publi/convexug/nqs.tar.Z
It has everything that was mentioned earlier in this group plus queueing across
a network including loadbalancing.
It works fine on our Convexes and I know people are running it on Suns.

--
	Adrian P. van Bloois
	Academisch Computer Centrum Utrecht (ACCU)

vvawh@convx1.lerc.nasa.gov (Tony Hackenberg) (09/27/90)

In article <BGLENDEN.90Sep25150812@mandrill.cv.nrao.edu> bglenden@mandrill.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:

>I have used what I believe is an earlier version of this software, and
>it works very well and I'd encourage the authors to submit it to
>c.s.u.
>
>I wonder if the net-at-large has any information about the status of
>NQS, i.e. is there a version that is both freely redistributable and
>reasonably portable. I keep hearing different things. Thanks!
>
>Brian
>--
>       Brian Glendenning - National Radio Astronomy Observatory
>bglenden@nrao.edu          bglenden@nrao.bitnet          (804) 296-0286

I suggest you contact Bob Kramer at NAS at NASA/Ames Research Center
concerning the status of a "freely distributable" NQS.  Harold Walter at NASA Ames would also be a good contact person.
.

--
Tony Hackenberg
NASA/Lewis Research Center M.S.142-2, 21000 Brookpark Rd., Cleveland, OH 44135

cfj@isc.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) (09/28/90)

The original version of NQS is available from NASA's public software
distribution center at the University of Georgia (They call the
distribution center COSMIC).  It is not free, they
charge a handling/media fee of $6000.00.  The people at NASA told me that
they are releasing a new version of NQS to COSMIC which they hope will be
ready by the end of Oct.  My understanding is that this new release will
mostly be bug fixes.  The versions of NQS sold by Cray, Convex, Intergraph,
etc. are all based on the original NASA NQS.  The address for COSMIC is:

     COSMIC
     382 East Broad St.
     Athens, GA  30602
     (404)542-3265