[comp.unix.admin] Wanted: info on 'root' magazine

mostardi@ux5.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) (09/18/90)

I thank Colin from Massey University in New Zealand for the
address for 'root' magazine, which he says "is oneof the most
useful journals I subscribe to".  It is a magazine for UNIX
systems administrators.

	root
	632 East Bidwell St. #56
	Folsom CA 95360
	USA

David
David Mostardi			      "Where the coffee is strong,
MSRI, Berkeley                            the cat is good-looking,
david@msri.org       	   and all the theorems are above-average."

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (09/19/90)

In article <7017@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, mostardi@ux5.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) writes:
> I thank Colin from Massey University in New Zealand for the
> address for 'root' magazine, which he says "is oneof the most
> useful journals I subscribe to".  It is a magazine for UNIX
> systems administrators.

Belinda called about Root and was told it was no longer being published.
Are we confused or did it just recently die?

hogan@csl.sri.com (Emmett Hogan) (09/20/90)

Phil> Belinda called about Root and was told it was no longer being
Phil> published.  Are we confused or did it just recently die?

NO NO NO NO....ROOT is still alive and kicking, it is just not
published by Infopro Systems (or whoever) anymore, and if you call
them, they just say it isn't being published anymore.  I just now
called the people at ROOT and they assured me that they are still
cranking them out.  Here is the CORRECT information:

	root
	632 East Bidwell Street, Suite 56
	Folsom, CA   95630
	(916)351-0831

root really is an EXCELLENT publication, and I recommend it very
highly for any and all UNIX systems administrators.

P.S. I have no affiliation with root, I am just a very happy
     subscriber.

Emmett Hogan              Computer Science Lab, SRI International
Inet: hogan@csl.sri.com
UUCP: {ames, decwrl, pyramid, sun}!fernwood!hercules!hogan
USMAIL: BN179, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA  94025
PacBell: (415)859-3232 (voice), (415)859-2844 (fax)
ICBM: 37d 27' 14" North, 122d 10' 52" West

bk@kullmar.se (Bo Kullmar) (09/20/90)

In <7017@dog.ee.lbl.gov> mostardi@ux5.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) writes:

>	root
>	632 East Bidwell St. #56
>	Folsom CA 95360
>	USA

That's not the right address as far as I understnad. The July/August 1990
issue gives this address:

Root Subscritpns, Inc., P.O. Box 3000, Denville, NJ 07834

Phone (916) 351-0831

One year ( 6 issues) cost 32 USD, Two years 56 USD.
--
Bo Kullmar, Helsingoersg. 38, S-164 42  KISTA, Sweden, Phone +46 8 7511518
UUCP:		{uunet,mcsun}!sunic!kullmar!bk	       Fax   +46 8 801522

koffi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (There will be enough room in HEAVENS for all of US) (09/20/90)

In article <7017@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, mostardi@ux5.lbl.gov (David Mostardi) writes:
> I thank Colin from Massey University in New Zealand for the
> address for 'root' magazine, which he says "is oneof the most
> useful journals I subscribe to".  It is a magazine for UNIX
> systems administrators.
>
> 	root
> 	632 East Bidwell St. #56
> 	Folsom CA 95360
> 	USA
>
> David

I am looking into subscribing to 'root' magazine and I am not sure about the
address I have. And the address doesn't match with the one David posted up
here.  Here is the address I have:

	root, the journal of UNIX/Xenix System Administration
	Root Creations, Inc.
	632 East Bidwell St., Suite 56
	Folsom, California 95630
	U.S.A.

Please help me out and let me know if the P.O Box is correct and provide me
with a telephone number if possible.

koffi

hogan@csl.sri.com (Emmett Hogan) (09/20/90)

One more time....I JUST TALKED TO THE PEOPLE at Root, the correct
address is:

	root
	632 East Bidwell St. #56
	Folsom CA 95360
	USA
	Phone: (916)351-0831

This is as of 10:00 PDT, on Wed Sept. 19th 1990.  I doubt it will
change before the message expires.

Emmett Hogan              Computer Science Lab, SRI International
Inet: hogan@csl.sri.com
UUCP: {ames, decwrl, pyramid, sun}!fernwood!hercules!hogan
USMAIL: BN179, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA  94025
PacBell: (415)859-3232 (voice), (415)859-2844 (fax)
ICBM: 37d 27' 14" North, 122d 10' 52" West

C.Eagle@massey.ac.nz (Colin Eagle) (09/20/90)

This is the address given inside the front cover of the July/August edition:
>> 	root
>> 	632 East Bidwell St. #56
>> 	Folsom CA 95360
>> 	USA

	Phone: 	(916) 351-0831
	FAX:	(916) 983-2004

This address is given on subscription flyer inside the same edition:
	Root Subscriptions, Inc.,
	PO Box 3000,
	Denville,
	NJ 07834

	Phone:	(916) 351-0831

As the phone numbers are both the same, it might be best  to call them
to find out which address to use.

-Colin

--
			    Colin G. Eagle
		    Internet: C.Eagle@massey.ac.nz

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (09/21/90)

         I just called the phone number that was published here in previous
    articles and asked which address subscription inquires should be sent
    to.  The lady was unsure which address would be best but thought the
    Folsom, Ca address might be best:

          Root Creations
          632 East Bidwell Street, Suite 56
          Folsom, Ca

        I forgot however, to verify the ZIP code, in two articles by the
      same person, the ZIP had two digits transposed.  The two given
      were: 95630 and 95360.  Oh well.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370        {mips,pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Signetics in Sunnyvale,Ca (USA)
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.

mje@olsa99.UUCP (Mark J Elkins) (09/21/90)

In article <7017@dog.ee.lbl.gov> david@msri.org (David Mostardi) writes:
>I thank Colin from Massey University in New Zealand for the
>address for 'root' magazine,

>	root
>	632 East Bidwell St. #56
>	Folsom CA 95360
>	USA

Root is alive and kicking - just got  Volume 2 Number 4 (July/August 1990).
Address is... (off the mag..)

Root Creations, Inc
Suite 56
632 East Bidwell St
Folsom
CA 95630

Fax: (916) 983 2004
Tel: (916) 351 0831

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Olivetti Systems & Networks, Unix Support - Africa
 /| /|       / /__       UUCP: {uunet,olgb1,olnl1}!olsa99!mje (Mark Elkins)

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (09/29/90)

>In article <7017@dog.ee.lbl.gov> david@msri.org (David Mostardi) writes:
>I thank Colin from Massey University in New Zealand for the
>address for 'root' magazine,
>	632 East Bidwell St. #56
>	Folsom CA 95360
>	USA
>Fax: (916) 983 2004
>Tel: (916) 351 0831

One nice thing is that they also bought all the back issues, and are reprinting
the issues that they've run out of.  They also seem a little more interested in
getting widespread distribution of root, which should help those poor souls who
don't have net access.

Subscription price is $32/year, or you can find it at a couple of technical
bookstores (I think Computer Literacy is the other one).

The July/August issue looks pretty good, but they need to get a net address.
I'd like to see more articles that had sample script files, with the scripts
posted to alt.sources or whatever.

--
jamesd@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}!techbook!jamesd
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (10/04/90)

>>I thank Colin from Massey University in New Zealand for the
>>address for 'root' magazine,
>>	632 East Bidwell St. #56
>>	Folsom CA 95360
>>	USA
>>Fax: (916) 983 2004
>>Tel: (916) 351 0831
>
>One nice thing is that they also bought all the back issues, and are reprinting
>the issues that they've run out of.  They also seem a little more interested in
>getting widespread distribution of root, which should help those poor souls who
>don't have net access.
>
>Subscription price is $32/year, or you can find it at a couple of technical
>bookstores (I think Computer Literacy is the other one).
>
>The July/August issue looks pretty good, but they need to get a net address.
>I'd like to see more articles that had sample script files, with the scripts
>posted to alt.sources or whatever.

Well I just got a sample issue of Root (May/June issue) and I'm not
sure I'd call it a magazine.  It's all of 32 pages and it's a little
rough around the edges.  They seem to have forgotten to run their
spelling checker.  A grammar checker would be nice too.  The
"typesetting" leaves a lot to be desired in most places -- pretty
amateurish.

This issue was devoted to printers and had a few items of potentially
useful information, like descriptions of how to build printcaps, etc.
But most of it was a waste of time with articles like "Printers --
Birth, Life and Death", that had a section titled "Printer Replacement"
that spent half a page explaining that printers eventually wear out.

Sheesh!

At $32 for six issues it's a bit hard to justify.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com