[comp.unix.admin] Starting accounting

raghu@osc.edu (Raghu Machiraju) (10/05/90)

I have a Sun-3/260 running SunOS 4.0.3 and I would like to start
accounting. The /etc/rc file has the lines
		if [ -f /var/adm/acct ]; then
			accton /var/adm/acct ; echo ( --- etc ---
		fi
However I could never get accounting started. Trying to use the
command accton outside /etc/rc did not yield success, since I
got invalid option on accton /var/adm/acct.  "/var/adm/acct"
is indeed a file and not a directory on the machine in question.
Any help shall be appreciated.  Please send mail raghu@timbaktu.osc.edu.

raghu

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (10/07/90)

In article <1007@oscsunb.osc.edu> raghu@osc.edu (Raghu Machiraju) writes:
>I have a Sun-3/260 running SunOS 4.0.3 and I would like to start
>accounting. The /etc/rc file has the lines
>		if [ -f /var/adm/acct ]; then
>			accton /var/adm/acct ; echo ( --- etc ---
>		fi
>However I could never get accounting started. Trying to use the
>command accton outside /etc/rc did not yield success, since I
>got invalid option on accton /var/adm/acct.  "/var/adm/acct"

It sounds like you probably don't have ACCOUNTING enabled in your kernel.
You need to rebuild the kernel, making sure that the ACCOUNTING line
is uncommented in the config file.

Bill

--
home:  ...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
       bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com