[comp.unix.admin] Exact Specifications for

yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu (matt robinson) (10/10/90)

I need to obtain the exact specifications for the lpd/lpq/lpr/lpc programs,
so that I can finish a project which I am working on for our office.  If
I can get this to work, I will be able to create a daemon that will allow
for multiple printers with a single queue that works through a filter in
lpr.  If anyone has any type of information along these lines, or can give
any documentation (Like an RFC, for instance), please let me know.  I've
read all of the manuals, and system documentation, but none of it is telling
me what I need to know.  I'm running SunOS 4.1 UNIX using a 4.3 BSD style
lp{r,q,d,c,lm} system.  Thank you for your time.

Matt D. Robinson                                    yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu
Systems Programming Group                           ..!ucsd!ucrmath!yakker
UC Riverside

wls@uwm.edu (Bill Stapleton) (10/10/90)

In article <9130@ucrmath.ucr.edu>, yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu (matt robinson) writes:
> I need to obtain the exact specifications for the lpd/lpq/lpr/lpc programs,
> for multiple printers with a single queue that works through a filter in
> lpr.  If anyone has any type of information along these lines, or can give
> any documentation (Like an RFC, for instance), please let me know.  ...

RFC 1179.  I could mail you a copy if you can't find it elsewhere.  Somebody
mailed me this, so I'm not sure if it's generally available.

The PLP package has queues with multiple printers, but it's not 100% BSD
compatible.  It may be worth looking at though, since it also documents the
lpd/lpr protocol.  It's available for anonymous FTP at vlsi.cs.umn.edu
(128.101.230.15).

--
Bill Stapleton
     wls@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu (matt robinson) (10/13/90)

> I need to obtain the exact specifications for the lpd/lpq/lpr/lpc programs,
> for multiple printers with a single queue that works through a filter in
> lpr.  If anyone has any type of information along these lines, or can give
> any documentation (Like an RFC, for instance), please let me know.  ...

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.  My goal was to find
out how to directly talk to the LPD program, and from what RFC 1179 told
me and what the source code from uunet.uu.net told me, I was able to write
a program that is what I call MLPD, or Multiple Line Printer Daemon.
It works by a slight modification to the queueing/printing setup, and
requires no installation of a new package, no filters, no sockets, nothing
above what comes with either 4.3BSD or System V, and even runs smoothly.
It's just a single daemon program that monitors the printers more accurately
for a better selection of printer files, using the existing lpd program
to get information from.

If anyone wanted to know what I did, or would like to see this program in
its finished state (Another 2 weeks...I have to take care of school first),
please let me know.
Matt D. Robinson                                      yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu
UC Riverside, Systems Programming Group               ..!ucsd!ucrmath!yakker

xiang@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Xiang Ge) (10/16/90)

Process table in UNix is a linked list. Can anybody tell me how
to find the head of this list (that is, to find the the entrance
of the process-table.)

Thank you in advance.

xg