[comp.unix.admin] idle kill program needed

klarich@d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME) (10/30/90)

I know there was just a big discussion about killing off idle users.
However, I did not pay any attention because I never thaught I would need
to worry about this.  Well, my boss asked me to get something running which
would get rid of idle users after a certain time.  I ftped a program like
this from simtel; but, it could not handle people coming in from telnet.
Also, this program would just pay attention to the last time a character
was read and then start counting.  So, if the program the user was running
did not require a keyboard read within kill_time minutes, they were logged off
even though they were not idle.

If some one could recommend a good idle kill program or send me a summary
of this discussion, I would sure appreciate the trouble.

Terry Klarich <klarich@d.cs.okstate.edu> n5hts

klarich@d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME) (11/01/90)

Somebody sent me an article  which told me where I might get an idle_users
program.  They sead that I could ftp it from the machine where they were
sending from.  I accidently deleted the message before I had a chance to
look at it.  So, Could the person who sent this please send it again.

Terry Klarich <klarich@d.cs.okstate.edu> n5hts

sequoia@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Gary M. Lin) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct29.180340.3166@d.cs.okstate.edu> klarich@d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME) writes:

>I know there was just a big discussion about killing off idle users.
>However, I did not pay any attention because I never thaught I would need
>to worry about this.  Well, my boss asked me to get something running which
>would get rid of idle users after a certain time.  I ftped a program like
>this from simtel; but, it could not handle people coming in from telnet.
>Also, this program would just pay attention to the last time a character
>was read and then start counting.  So, if the program the user was running
>did not require a keyboard read within kill_time minutes, they were logged off
>even though they were not idle.

	The CATS programmers on campus once installed an idle-user killer
	on our open-access system, to free up ports on a heavily loaded
	IS68K running 4.2BSD.  It would sit in background waiting for your
	tty to be silent for say, 15 minutes, before logging you out.

	Needless to say, students didn't appreciate this 'feature', as
	logging back in entails waiting on a 10 minute queue.  So people
	ran 'yes' and left their terminals for hours on end logged in.
	So far, the programmers haven't caught on :)

--------
Gary M. Lin	Cowell College, University of California, Santa Cruz

INTERNET:	sequoia@ucscb.ucsc.edu, quantum@slugmail.ucsc.edu
UUCP:	..ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!sequoia