[comp.unix.admin] Sendmail config problem

measures@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Mark Measures) (11/01/90)

I'm having a problem with the address generated when someone tries to
reply to a mail message.  I'm running Unix V 3.2.2 with Wollongong
TCP/IP 3.01 on an AT&T 3B2/700.  The mail program is 'mailx.'  When
a user receives a message using mailx (which I think is basically the
mail program from BSD Unix) and tries to reply, the message is always
sent back to root.  This is because the 'From:' line lists the sender
as root.  I think the problem is in the sendmail.cf config file, but I
have not been able to remedy it.  I would appreciate mail responses to
this problem.  Thanks.

| Mark Measures                | "I don't know what the program-  |
| Univ. of Texas at Arlington  |  ming language of the year 2000  |
| Arlington, TX                |  will look like, but it will be  |
| measures@evax.arl.utexas.edu |  called Fortran."  - Dijkstra    |

dsrich01@b.ee.engr.uky.edu (Dave Richardson) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Oct31.191907.23774@evax.arl.utexas.edu> measures@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Mark Measures) writes:
>I'm having a problem with the address generated when someone tries to
>reply to a mail message.  I'm running Unix V 3.2.2 with Wollongong
>TCP/IP 3.01 on an AT&T 3B2/700.  The mail program is 'mailx.'  When
>a user receives a message using mailx (which I think is basically the
>mail program from BSD Unix) and tries to reply, the message is always
>sent back to root.  This is because the 'From:' line lists the sender
>as root.  I think the problem is in the sendmail.cf config file, but I
>have not been able to remedy it.  I would appreciate mail responses to
>this problem.  Thanks.

I, too, have had this problem.  The solution is to call the 800-number
hotline, and get the patch.  This problem only occurs when using mailx
with TCP/IP.

Later, all

				Dave
---
Dave Richardson	            \ UUCP: !{rutgers, rayssd, uunet}!ukma!ukecc!dsrich
  University of Kentucky      \ BITNET: dsrich%engr.uky.edu@UKMA.BITNET
  Engineering Computing Center  \ ARPANET: dsrich@engr.uky.edu
  I don't speak for my employers and they don't speak for me.
--> You live and learn.  Or you don't live long.    (Notebooks of Lazarus Long)