[comp.unix.admin] Verifying dump tape consistency without restoring

scott@thirdi.uucp (Scott Southard) (11/08/90)

We are currently dumping our filesystems to an Exabyte tape drive nightly,
and assuming that if dump gives no errors the dump was successful.  I have
some doubts as to whether this is alway true, and would like to examine
the tape (without restoring the contents to disk) to determine whether the
tape is indeed ok.  Does anyone know of any utilities for verifying the
consistency of a dump tape?  The 't' option to the restore program may
uncover errors in the table of contents, but I'm doubtful whether a
successful read of the table of contents indicates a completely consistent
dump.  How do other people deal with this problem?  Has anyone out there
ever seen a case where dump succeeded but a restore of the dump tape
failed?

I'm using a Sun SPARCstation 1 running SunOS4.03.
--
Scott Southard                  scott@thirdi  or, for stupid mailers:
Third Eye Software, Inc.        {pyramid,sun,apple,hpda}!thirdi!scott

In article <1990Nov8.004559.3904@thirdi.uucp>
scott@thirdi.uucp (Scott Southard) writes:
>Does anyone know of any utilities for verifying the consistency of a
>dump tape?

We just had a big discussion on this in this very newsgroup, under the
subject `why idle backups'.  Whether a tape can be `verified' depends
on your definition of `verify' and how much time and effort you are
willing to expend.  If you can take the file system offline (either by
unmounting or by running single-user) you could write a program to
compare a dump to the actual contents of a file system.

I know of no such utility (though it would be useful, e.g., before
moving a lab like we did here a few years ago).
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)

williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Williams) (11/10/90)

In article <27542@mimsy.umd.edu> chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <1990Nov8.004559.3904@thirdi.uucp>
>scott@thirdi.uucp (Scott Southard) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any utilities for verifying the consistency of a
>>dump tape?

[text deleted]

>I know of no such utility (though it would be useful, e.g., before
>moving a lab like we did here a few years ago).
>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
>Domain:	chris@cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris

The dump command under SunOS 4.1 has the following option.  I haven't
used this yet, so I can't comment on it's utility.

    v    After writing each volume of the  dump,  the  media  is
	 rewound  and  is  verified against the filesystem being
	 dumped.  If any  discrepancies  are  found,  dump  will
	 respond  as if a write error had occurred; the operator
	 will be asked to mount new media, and dump will attempt
	 to  rewrite  the  volume.   Note that any change to the
	 filesystem, even the update of the  access  time  on  a
	 file  will  cause  the verification to fail.  Thus, the
	 verify option can only be used on a quiescent filesystem.

Spoken: Jim Williams             Domain: williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Phone: +1 301 286-4405           UUCP:   uunet!mimsy!williams
USPS: NASA/GSFC, Code 633, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Motto: There is no 'd' in "kluge"!  It rhymes with "huge", not "sludge".

greg@cheers.Bungi.COM (Greg Onufer) (11/12/90)

chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <1990Nov8.004559.3904@thirdi.uucp>
>scott@thirdi.uucp (Scott Southard) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any utilities for verifying the consistency of a
>>dump tape?
> [[ ... ]]
>I know of no such utility (though it would be useful, e.g., before
>moving a lab like we did here a few years ago).

SunOS 4.1 dump does exactly what you want.  It will fail, though, if
*anything* on the filesystem changes (ie, file access times), the
verify will fail.

Cheers!greg