[comp.unix.admin] UNIX tapes

kpc00@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (kpc) (11/14/90)

In article <1734@number1.step.UUCP> perl@step.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) writes:

   > Certainly one tape is not enough for a zero level backup.
   > How to get away with this problem?  Thanks for any enlightenment.
   >
   > -ping

   Well, if you really have to change tapes, you're probably out of
   luck.  I'm assuming that you are using 6250 BPI 1/2" tape.  I don't
   know what kind of machine you are using, but you might be able to

Are 6250 BPI 1/2" tapes pretty standard for UNIX installations (I
guess, As opposed to 1600 or some other density)?  How much do they
store, assuming "tar cf" format?

(Will some kind person please send email on this?  I'll peruse this
group, but might miss a followup.)

   {murphy | philabs | chuo}!step!perl
	   -- "I am not a language ... I am a free man!"

P.S.  Have you been getting any mail from people presuming your
account to be for perlites?
--
If you do not receive a reply from me, please resend your mail;
occasionally this site's mail gets delayed.

Neither representing any company nor, necessarily, myself.