[comp.unix.admin] backing up systems

rusty@qip.UUCP (Rusty Carruth) (11/20/90)

In article <329@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>Oh dear, all this brings a up a few more topics concerning cpio (and tar).
>
>I have been trying to write a "simple" shell script to give to my clients
>(mostly, well, *all* small company office workers) so they can easily back
>up their systems without knowing how to use the shell.  They just select
>"Filesystem Backup" from their menu and follow the instructions.

>I hope I've come close to putting an end to this issue, rather than causing
>more confusion (or starting another thread!).  If not, I apologize in
>advance...

Well, Chad (anasaz!chad@asuvax.eas.asu.edu) and I have been working on
(well, mostly chad has been working on) a backup program/script to
take care of some of the issues you mention.  It does not to verification,
but it DOES break the files up into chunks which "should" fit on a single
chunk of media (unless the file is actually too big, in which case you
are stuck, but it could be handled if you really wanted to).

He plans to post it to one of the source groups "real soon now".  His
version uses a C program, called namelist, which generates the list of
files to be backed up.  It is based on my shell-script-only version which
runs VERY SLOOOOOOOOLY (on a Pyramid system, it took my script 2 1/2 hours
to build the list of files to be backed up and split that list into the
correct pieces,it took his program 6 MINUTES!!!), so I suggest you look
for his posting.  I believe he plans to put it into alt.sources or
something like that.  Or, email to him (anasaz!chad@asuvax) asking
about it if you don't see it in a few day... er, weeks :-).

I could send you my version, but I'd suggest you wait for his, its worth
the wait!

--
+++  73 de N7IKQ  +++
Rusty Carruth               {ames!ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!rusty