[comp.unix.admin] saving console i/o

pete@wvus.wciu.edu (Pete Gregory) (11/30/90)

We need to find a way to capture all /dev/console i/o for saving in a file,
while being transparent to anyone on that console.

Reason: we're a large production shop, and our managers are accustomed to
a feature on our other mainframes in which all keystrokes and output are
saved to a file.  We'd like to be able to do the same on our Unisys 6000/70's.
These are AT&T SysV.3 machines without 'typescript' or whatever that Berkeley
utility is.

Ignorant minds want to know...

Pete Gregory, UNIX SA  |  pete@wvus.wciu.edu                  |
World Vision USA/ISD   |  wciu!wvus!pete                   ___|___
919 W. Huntingon Dr.   |  Voice: 818/357-7979 x3347           |
Monrovia, CA  91016    |  FAX:   818/303-6212                 |

james@dlss2.UUCP (James Cummings) (11/30/90)

In article <5c1eT1w163w@wvus.wciu.edu> pete@wvus.wciu.edu (Pete Gregory) writes:
>We need to find a way to capture all /dev/console i/o for saving in a file,
>while being transparent to anyone on that console.
>
>                We'd like to be able to do the same on our Unisys 6000/70's.
>These are AT&T SysV.3 machines without 'typescript' or whatever that Berkeley
>utility is.

	On an AT&T 3B2/700 and friends running SysV 3.2.1 there is a command
called "conslog".  I don't know that a Unisys running System V will have it,
but if it's rev 3.x.x possibly.

	conslog -a 	Activates the console logger.
	conslog -d	Deactivates the console logger.
	conslog -r	Reads the console log file.
				(and can be done from the console only)

	There is a specific warning in the manual.

	When the logger is active, only the "conslog -r" command should be
used to display the log file on the console.  If a command such as "cat" is
used to display the log file on the console when the logger is active, the
contents will be displayed and appended to the log file as the are being
displayed, creating an INFINITE loop.  This will go on indefinitely or
until a break is entered.

	That should effectively make your day.

	The delivered conslog on our 3B2s was set with permission 555.
I have changed that to 500 to require root to start, stop, and read.  In
my mind this at least reduces the chance that a regular user can get to
our console (a situation that should be avoided) and do something I don't
want them to do.

craig@attcan.UUCP (Craig Campbell) (12/01/90)

In article <5c1eT1w163w@wvus.wciu.edu> pete@wvus.wciu.edu (Pete Gregory) writes:
>We need to find a way to capture all /dev/console i/o for saving in a file,
>while being transparent to anyone on that console.

>These are AT&T SysV.3 machines without 'typescript' or whatever that Berkeley
>utility is.

>Pete Gregory, UNIX SA  |  pete@wvus.wciu.edu                  |
>World Vision USA/ISD   |  wciu!wvus!pete                   ___|___
>919 W. Huntingon Dr.   |  Voice: 818/357-7979 x3347           |
>Monrovia, CA  91016    |  FAX:   818/303-6212                 |

Look into conslog(1M).  It is a standard AT&T System V utility.

craig

blatant filler
blatant filler
blatant filler
blatant filler
blatant filler
blatant filler
blatant filler

brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets) (12/01/90)

In article <13140@vpk3.UUCP> craig@vpk3.ATT.COM (Craig Campbell) writes:
>In article <5c1eT1w163w@wvus.wciu.edu> pete@wvus.wciu.edu (Pete Gregory) writes:
>>We need to find a way to capture all /dev/console i/o for saving in a file,
>>while being transparent to anyone on that console.

If you have another *NIX machine you might try have the console output
hooked up to a tip line from another machine. The use that for the
console. The only problem in if the user does  a tilde . and
breaks the connection.

--
Brian Sheets KA7KDX                          "So, what if they went nowhere?"
5544 N Burrage.                              "Then this will be your big chance