[comp.unix.admin] Verifying Tape Writes

tom@mermaid.Litle.Com (Tom Hampton) (12/01/90)

We had thought that printing out a catalog of a tape's
contents prooved that the tape would be restoreable:

cpio -itvB </dev/tape

In practice, we have found that the above commamd completes
with success (repeatably) in instances where the tape proved
(repeatably) unrestoreable.

Any suggestions?
 Tom Hampton, Mgr. New Technology, Litle & Co. | POB A218, Hanover, NH 03755
                                               | +1 603 643 1832
 Design is about figuring out what you won't be able to do.
tom@mermaid.litle.com                            {backbone}!dartvax!mermaid!tom

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (12/03/90)

In article <528@mermaid.Litle.Com>, tom@mermaid.Litle.Com (Tom Hampton) writes:
> We had thought that printing out a catalog of a tape's
> contents prooved that the tape would be restoreable:
>
> cpio -itvB </dev/tape
>
> In practice, we have found that the above commamd completes
> with success (repeatably) in instances where the tape proved
> (repeatably) unrestoreable.
>
> Any suggestions?

Try good old dd
It will tell you if the tape is readable all the way to the end.

I use this to verify formatted disks for readability.

dd if=/dev/tape of=/dev/null

This should work (I think).

--
Mark A. Emanuele
V.P. Engineering  Overleaf, Inc.

aronb@gkcl.ists.ca (Aron Burns) (12/03/90)

In article <528@mermaid.Litle.Com> tom@mermaid.litle.com (Tom Hampton) writes:
>We had thought that printing out a catalog of a tape's
>contents prooved that the tape would be restoreable:
>
>cpio -itvB </dev/tape
>
>In practice, we have found that the above commamd completes
[...]
>Any suggestions?

To verify that the media is good, try
dd if=/dev/tape of=/dev/null
and if you see something liek
35000+0 blocks in
35000+0 blocks out
this tells you that the same number of blocks went in as out ( should
always happen ) and that there were no retries (+0). This does not
verify that the tape info matches the disk info, only that the
media is good.

Aaron Burns      	     "Nothing I say on the net is binding
aronb@gkcl.ists.ca         to our corporation"
Toronto, Ontario         "Life is a forge, and the purest metal
(416)392-4310             comes from the hottest fire"