[comp.unix.admin] Just curious..

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (12/04/90)

 I dunno, maybe it's just me .. but I seem to be having a really hard
time getting out of the practice of typing my old root password. My
average since I changed it this morning has been about 1 hit for every
5 misses. Yeesh! Anybody else have this problem? (SuperUsers Anonymous
Passworders -- SUAP? Nevermind, I'm riding on coffee right now.)

--
    Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
 Widener University in Chester PA              A Bloody Sun-vs-Dec War Zone

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (12/05/90)

In <1990Dec03.204758.16869@cs.widener.edu> brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:

> I dunno, maybe it's just me .. but I seem to be having a really hard
>time getting out of the practice of typing my old root password. My
>average since I changed it this morning has been about 1 hit for every
>5 misses. Yeesh! Anybody else have this problem? (SuperUsers Anonymous
>Passworders -- SUAP? Nevermind, I'm riding on coffee right now.)

Not that bad, and not for root, but, yeah, I know the feeling....
partly 'cause I rarely think when I type my own password....
the brain disenganges, and the knuckles do the typing.  Half
the time I don't know if I got it right until it says "login incorrect"
or starts the motd..... and it *is* hard right after a password
change, until the old knuckles re-learn what to type when
the brain signals "password"....

What's even more confusing is that I've got the same account on
all the machines I'm responsible for, but three quite different
accounts on machines I'm not responsible for (including this one)....
getting my fingers to NOT type "glenns" when the eyes see "ogin:"
can be quite frustrating at times....

-- Glenn R. Stone
gs26@prism.gatech.edu, glenns@eas.gatech.edu