[comp.unix.admin] Backup across network using cpio

d) (12/03/90)

SUBJECT: Restoring backup off a DAT tape drive using cpio over the network.

       I have two systems, one HP Vectra 486 running SCO Unix and one
HP 370 Series 9000 running HP Unix. Does anyone know how to recover files
from a DAT tape drive across the network to the HP Vectra 486 using the
cpio command. I would like to perform this command from the HP Vectra 486.
I do not want to copy files from the DAT tape drive to the HP 370 & then
to the HP Vectra 486. I would like to execute one command using cpio
from the HP Vectra 486 to recover files directly from the DAT tape drive
on the HP 370 and put them on back on the HP Vectra 486. If there are any
scripts available, please post a response or send mail directly to me.

Thanks,
          Gregg        (Email: machovec@ucc386.uunet)

tn03@uafhcx.uucp (Tn3270 access) (12/04/90)

In article <189@ucc386.UUCP>, machovec@ucc386.UUCP (The man for the job!d) writes:
> I would like to execute one command using cpio
> from the HP Vectra 486 to recover files directly from the DAT tape drive
> on the HP 370 and put them on back on the HP Vectra 486.
>
> Thanks,
>           Gregg        (Email: machovec@ucc386.uunet)

I personally use afio to back up four HP-UX boxes to one DAT drive.  I
don't use cpio often enough to answer your question specifically, but
this is the way I do it with afio:

remsh DAThost dd if=/dev/DAT bs=1024k | afio -i -

The - represents standard input.  Using the standard output of a remsh dd is
a good way to go.  I do something very similar to back the machines up.

find / -print | afio -o - | remsh DAThost dd of=/dev/DAT bs=1024k

I hope this helps.

In article <5637@uafhp.uark.edu> tn03@uafhcx.uucp (Tn3270 access) writes:

>I personally use afio to back up four HP-UX boxes to one DAT drive.  I
>don't use cpio often enough to answer your question specifically, but
>this is the way I do it with afio:

>remsh DAThost dd if=/dev/DAT bs=1024k | afio -i -

If you change the literal "rsh" (somewhere around line 584) to whatever
works on your system, afio will internally generate the remote command
for you when it sees a device name in the form host:device, running
another copy of afio on the other system instead of dd.

If people are going to do selective restores over a network though, it
might be worth modifying the code to do the selection on the machine
with the tape drive instead of streaming the whole DAT across the net
for the local copy to discard most of it.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us