[comp.unix.admin] Exabyte versus DAT tape drives

rw@ascutney.dartmouth.edu (Randy Witlicki) (12/07/90)

I posted this a while back but it seems to have been dropped.

  (I recall a while back there was some talk here about
the right dump command strings to work with Exabyte
tape drives.)
  We are looking into large capacity tape storage solutions
and have the question:
   - Is an Exabyte or a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) system
 better (where "better" == price, robustness, availability
 of device drivers, etc.).  The present environment we will
 be dropping it into will be SUN 3s and DecStations (Ultrix).

  Any and all replies appreciated in advance!
  Please name vendors if possible.

- Randy Witlicki     rw@sunapee.dartmouth.edu
  Math and CS Department
  Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (12/08/90)

In article <26755@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> rw@ascutney.dartmouth.edu (Randy Witlicki) writes:
>   - Is an Exabyte or a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) system
> better (where "better" == price, robustness, availability
> of device drivers, etc.).  The present environment we will
> be dropping it into will be SUN 3s and DecStations (Ultrix).

    I look at it this way:  Exabyte (if you've ever talked to them) thinks
it's IBM, and treats its customers accordingly.  All Exabyte-based units are
made by a single company with no direct competition.

    There are a number of DAT manufacturers.  They offer a variety of
features, and are directly in competition with each other.  This gives
them an incentive to better their product, and lower its price - an
incentive that Exabyte does not have.  Competition never made a product
worse.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com