[comp.unix.admin] Making backup not in single user?

bussiere@DMI.USherb.CA (Luc Bussieres) (12/10/90)

	We are using the dump program with SunOS 4.1 to do all our backups. Once
a month we are making a complete backup and the manual suggest that with boot
single user. We are planning to buy an Exabyte and we want to be able to make the backup
by night without any operator. Could it be done? If not is there another backup program
I could use?

--
Luc Bussieres ---- Analyste - Dep. de Mathematiques et Informatique
Universite de Sherbrooke

karrer@bernina.ethz.ch (Andreas Karrer) (12/11/90)

bussiere@DMI.USherb.CA (Luc Bussieres) writes:

>	We are using the dump program with SunOS 4.1 to do all our backups. Once
>a month we are making a complete backup and the manual suggest that with boot
>single user. We are planning to buy an Exabyte and we want to be able to make the backup
>by night without any operator. Could it be done? If not is there another backup program
>I could use?

we use dump(8) on exabytes on life filesystems, eg. no shutdown and reboot.
we know that dumps may get corrupted that way, but we can live with that.

if you want to shut down before a level 0 dump, do the following:
- make a crontab entry that will do "shutdown -r" at 01:00 every night, but
  only if a file "/dump-0-tonight" exists;
- put lines similar to those in rc.local (the position in rc.local depends
  on wether your tape is local or remote):
	if [ -f /dump-0-tonight ]; then
		/bin/mv /dump-0-tonight /dump-0-now
		/bin/sh /dump-0-now
		/bin/rm -f /dump-0-now
	fi
- the day before the dump, put the dump commands in /dump-0-tonight, probably
  using some perl/sh/awk/whatever script.

this way you do dumps on quiescent filesystems, and you do dumps only
once in case the machine would reboot by other causes (power failure, whatever)

  Andi Karrer, Communication Systems, ETH Zuerich, Switzerland
  karrer@ks.id.ethz.ch                  karrer@czheth5a.bitnet