[comp.unix.admin] modem control

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec9.020043.273@cbnewsm.att.com> abm@cbnewsm.att.com (andrew.b.myers) writes:
>[ ... setting up a restricted bbs-like account on a 3B2/300 ... ]
>
> So now I need an instantaneous sledge hammer to kill the abandoned
> shell when a user suddenly drops off.

The sledge hammer you are looking for is called MODEM CONTROL.  In
conjunction with the HUPCL flag (i.e. stty hupcl, or HUPCL in
gettydefs), modem control does everything you want it to.

Make sure your modem is supplying a DCD signal that follows the true
carrier (by setting the right options/switches), and that HUPCL is
specified in all of the gettydefs lines for the port your modem is
connected to.  Needless to say, use the proper RJ-45 -> DB-25 adapter
too (i.e. an "005" modem connector).

Warning:  If you are using this modem bi-directionally, i.e. you call
out on it too, make sure you are running SysVr3.2, since the older
BNU's don't support modem control properly (i.e. they didn't really
support bi-directional modems, regardless of the presence of uugetty).

Also, please be forewarned:  unless you have a carefully selected set
of commands available to rsh in a chroot'ed area, there is a 99.9%
chance that someone can find a way out of the restricted environment.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada