[comp.unix.admin] SG Iris, modems

jwk@Scripps.EDU (John Kupec) (12/10/90)

>In article <12706@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> mhh@lisa.cs.purdue.edu (Matthew Harper) writes:
>>
>>After running cu, we got the follwoing error:
>>ERROR - Can't Access Device

I have seen "telinit q" not work.  Try a "kill -HUP 1" to start the getty on
ttym2.

jwk

--
John Kupec,	Systems Manager
Agouron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

olson@mars.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (12/10/90)

In <1990Dec9.032649.8633@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

| In article <12706@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> mhh@lisa.cs.purdue.edu (Matthew Harper) writes:
| >
| >After running cu, we got the follwoing error:
| >ERROR - Can't Access Device
|
| Make sure you have read/write access to the /dev entry. i.e. chmod 666
| /dev/xxxxx

Ah, I don't think you want mode 666 (potential security holes), try
'chown uucp /dev/ttyX#'.  Depending on modem type, you probably want
the ttym# device, rather than ttyd#.  Also, if a login was previously
enabled on the port, you want to do a 'killall getty' after the
'telinit q'.

mike@bria.AIX (Mike Stefanik/78125) (12/31/90)

> In article <12706@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> mhh@lisa.cs.purdue.edu (Matthew Harper) writes:
> >6.) cu -s 1200 -l /dev/ttym2
> >
> >After running cu, we got the follwoing error:
> >ERROR - Can't Access Device
> >
> >Could anybody tell me why this isn't working and what I need to do
> >(It is running UNIX System V Version 2.0) to be able to communicate with
> >the modem.
>
> Check the permission on /dev/ttym2.  It needs to be r/w by world, or better,
> own by uucp and in the uucp group.  cu runs suid to uucp (on most system
> I am familiar with).

The problem is with the "/dev/ttym2" -- more than likely you meant "ttym2",
which is how it should be in the Devices file (this is assuming you're using
HoneyDanBer UUCP).  The /usr/lib/uucp/Devices entry could look like:

      Direct ttym2 - 1200 direct

The above stated is correct, though: your device should be owned by both
user and group "uucp".  So you really want the command to look like:

      $ cu -s 1200 -l ttym2

It may be necessary to disable getty on ttym2 as well by removing the
respawn getty on that port from inittab and doing a telinit -q.

Hope that helps.
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike
"If it was hard to code, it should be harder to use!"