[comp.unix.admin] backup difficulties

shawn@litsun8.epfl.edu (Shawn Koppenhoefer) (01/07/91)

  DUMP: Date of this level 9 dump: Mon Jan  7 12:00:02 1991
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /u/giraud to /dev/rst8
  DUMP: bad sblock magic number
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

When I to a "dump f /dev/rst8 /u/username "
I get the above error message. What's my problem?
An mt -f /dev/rst8 status yields the following:

   Wangtek QIC-150 tape drive:
      sense key(0x0)= no sense   residual= 0   retries= 0
      file no= 0   block no= 0

yar@cs.su.oz (Ray Loyzaga) (01/08/91)

In article <SHAWN.91Jan7121818@litsun8.epfl.edu> shawn@litsun.epfl.ch writes:

>   DUMP: Date of this level 9 dump: Mon Jan  7 12:00:02 1991
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping /u/giraud to /dev/rst8
>   DUMP: bad sblock magic number
>   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
>

> When I to a "dump f /dev/rst8 /u/username "
> I get the above error message. What's my problem?

try specifying the filesystem device, not the directory path of its mount.
I think sblock stands for "super block" in this case.

Do you realy just want a level 9 dump? You should probably also set the
u flag to update the dumpdates file and some sort of blocking factor
to speed it up. The sun manual on dump is not very explicit on how it
treats a filename argument rather than a filesystem argument.

The cartridge drive is not the problem in the above.

shawn@litsun8.litsun.epfl.edu (Shawn Koppenhoefer) (01/08/91)

Shawn> When I to a "dump f /dev/rst8 /u/username "
Shawn> I get the above error message. What's my problem?

oops. silly of me. dump can only be used on complete
file systems no specific parts. For some reason I
didn't think of tar (I hadn't had my coffee yet).

thanx for those would pointed out my sillyness. I'd
cancel the article but the news reader insists that I
didn't post it so...

edw@sequent.UUCP (Ed Wright) (01/09/91)

In article <1769@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> yar@cluster.cs.su.oz (Ray Loyzaga) writes:
%In article <SHAWN.91Jan7121818@litsun8.epfl.edu> shawn@litsun.epfl.ch writes:
%>
%>   DUMP: Date of this level 9 dump: Mon Jan  7 12:00:02 1991
%>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
                                      ^^^^^^^^^
	Sounds like you are using the dump option to update the file
	/etc/dumpdates (no biggie)
%>   DUMP: Dumping /u/giraud to /dev/rst8
%>   DUMP: bad sblock magic number
	Did you clean the filesystem before you tried to dump it ?
	Try unmounting the filesystem and then run fsck -p on the
	raw device.
	If it turn up that you do in fact have a bad superblock
	you will need to run fsck manually specifying an alternate
	superblock address. Check the man page and the article(s) in
	vol 2.
	Then do  your dump. (on the unmounted filesystem)
	That should help things out
%>   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
%>
Hope that helps