[comp.unix.admin] how to set up anon ftp server ?

A.C.G.Saunders@newcastle.ac.uk (Aidan Saunders) (01/11/91)

I remember seeing some guidelines on setting up anon ftp servers
some while ago - & can't find them just now ...

So: I want to set up a *SECURE* anonymous ftp server on a Sun3/60 under
SunOS4.1 - what do I need to do?

Or where should I look in order to RTFM ??

Thanks
Aidan
ARPA :: a.c.g.saunders@newcastle.ac.uk
UUCP :: ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!a.c.g.saunders

lance@lances.aiss.uiuc.edu (C Lance Moxley) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.175129.7848@newcastle.ac.uk> A.C.G.Saunders@newcastle.ac.uk (Aidan Saunders) writes:
>I remember seeing some guidelines on setting up anon ftp servers
>some while ago - & can't find them just now ...
>
>So: I want to set up a *SECURE* anonymous ftp server on a Sun3/60 under
>SunOS4.1 - what do I need to do?
>
>Or where should I look in order to RTFM ??
>
>Thanks
>Aidan
>--
>ARPA :: a.c.g.saunders@newcastle.ac.uk
>UUCP :: ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!a.c.g.saunders

	Please post any replies to this query, as I'm interested too.

				Lance

In article <1991Jan10.175129.7848@newcastle.ac.uk>, A.C.G.Saunders@newcastle.ac.uk (Aidan Saunders) writes:
|> Or where should I look in order to RTFM ??

"man ftpd"

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

jmc@PacBell.COM (Jerry M. Carlin) (01/11/91)

There is a bug in logging after a chroot. TO get around it
do this in /etc/rc.local:

	mkdir ~ftp/dev			# make sure umask correct
	rm ~ftp/dev/log 		# just in case
	ln /dev/log ~ftp/dev/log	# hard link necessary

I have a note saying this is fixed in 4.4BSD. I don't know about other
versions of UNIX.
--
Jerry M. Carlin	(415) 823-2441 jmcarli@srv.pacbell.com
To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe.