[comp.unix.admin] help with NFS and root

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (01/17/91)

We recently upgraded to SunOS 4.1, and root activities on NFS-mounted
filesystems are no longer honoured (that is, if logged in as root, you
can't touch files owned by root.)  I understand the security implications
of allowing root access across NFS, but I can't find the appropriate
incantation in the manuals; can someone tell me how to enable it?
Thanks,
			-- Jamie <jwz@lucid.com>

mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au (Mark Ferraretto) (01/21/91)

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>We recently upgraded to SunOS 4.1, and root activities on NFS-mounted
>filesystems are no longer honoured (that is, if logged in as root, you
>can't touch files owned by root.)  I understand the security implications
>of allowing root access across NFS, but I can't find the appropriate
>incantation in the manuals; can someone tell me how to enable it?
>Thanks,
>			-- Jamie <jwz@lucid.com>

If you put the following in you /etc/fstab.

/exported/filesystem -root=allowedhost1:allowedhost2,access=allowedhost1,allowedhost2
--
       _             Name  : Mark Ferraretto
      \  \           Place : Department of Physics and Mathematical Physics
==========>==>==--   Aarnet: mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au