[comp.unix.admin] Adding a motd to anon ftp

ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (02/01/91)

I have noticed, when using anonymous ftp to other sites, that some systems
present a motd-like message when you log into them.  Checking the ftpd
documentation, I can find no information on setting such a feature up.

Any suggestions?

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : + 61 2 805-9400
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : + 61 2 805-7433

kyriazis@iear.arts.rpi.edu (George Kyriazis) (02/01/91)

In article <1155@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>I have noticed, when using anonymous ftp to other sites, that some systems
>present a motd-like message when you log into them.  Checking the ftpd
>documentation, I can find no information on setting such a feature up.
>
>Any suggestions?

From what I know, you have to alter the source code to do that; provided
you do have source, of course..

  George Kyriazis                 kyriazis@rdrc.rpi.edu
 				  kyriazis@iear.arts.rpi.edu

wjw@ebs.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (02/01/91)

In article <^?#&8Q$@rpi.edu> kyriazis@iear.arts.rpi.edu (George Kyriazis) writes:
>In article <1155@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>>I have noticed, when using anonymous ftp to other sites, that some systems
>>present a motd-like message when you log into them.  Checking the ftpd

>From what I know, you have to alter the source code to do that; provided
>you do have source, of course..

You can get the sources at {blizzard,ocf}.berkely.edu. And you might want
to get hold of the RFC959 which describes the protocol used for ftp.
I'll require some tries before you've got this one working.

You might also care to look at the one i've patched up:
	ftp.eb.ele.tue.nl(131.155.2.25): /pub/apollo/myftpd.tar.v34.Z

Ciao,
	Willem Jan Withagen.

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (02/02/91)

In article <1155@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:

   I have noticed, when using anonymous ftp to other sites, that some systems
   present a motd-like message when you log into them.  Checking the ftpd
   documentation, I can find no information on setting such a feature up.

   Any suggestions?

You'll need to modify your FTPD to do this.

A good place to start would be with the 4.3 Reno ftpd, available from

	wuarchive.wustl.edu:/unix/4.3bsd-reno/libexec/ftpd/ [128.252.135.4]

If the 4.3 Reno ftpd doesn't have all of the features that it sensibly
should have to support anonymous FTP on the internet, perhaps they
should be added and sent back to Berkeley.

This version is known to have a motd:

	From: seindal@diku.dk (Rene' Seindal)
	Archive: freja.diku.dk:/pub/4.3bsd/ftpd.tar.Z [129.142.96.1]

Otherwise I'd look at the following, roughly in the order of
presentation.  Some are ports to particular machines (eps -> next,
rees -> apollo, jim -> a/ux) and may not necessarily be featureful.
The Swedish version has hacks for MUD.  All of these references have
shown up in comp.archives.

	From: eap@bu-pub.bu.edu (Eric Pearce)
	Archive-directory: bu.edu:/src/netutil/adams-ftp/ [128.197.2.6]

	From: eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott)
	Archive: sutro.sfsu.edu:/pub/ftpd-src.tar.Z [130.212.15.230]

	From: rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees)
	Archive: dabo.ifs.umich.edu:/ftpd.tar.Z [141.211.168.73]

	From: pell@isy.liu.se (P{r Emanuelsson)
	Archive: nanny.lysator.liu.se:/pub/net/ftpd.tar.Z [130.236.254.13]

	From: jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski)
	Archive-site: jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov:/pub/AUXftpd.tar.Z [128.183.44.1]

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti
moderator, comp.archives
emv@msen.com

In article <EMV.91Feb1173857@crane.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
> In article <1155@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>    I have noticed, when using anonymous ftp to other sites, that some systems
>    present a motd-like message when you log into them.  Checking the ftpd
>    documentation, I can find no information on setting such a feature up.
>    Any suggestions?
> You'll need to modify your FTPD to do this.

Well, no. It's easy to put a wrapper around ftpd so that, e.g., every
230 message sent back is followed by the motd. You can make wrappers to
do practically anything.

---Dan