[comp.unix.admin] "The Unix System Administrator's Handbook"

don@dgbt.doc.ca (Donald McLachlan) (02/09/91)

	There has recently been talk of "The Unix System Administrators
Handbook" by Neameth, Snyder, and Seabass, published by Prentice Hall.

	I don't know if they are incompetent or not, but this is not
enough info for the people in our library to track it down.

	They have found 2 book, "T~ U~ S~ A~ Reference" by AT&T staff, and
"T~ U~ S~ A~ Guide", also by AT&T staff.

	Is it one of these I am hunting, or a third book. Please send more
info, the best of which would be a library of congress, or other catalog
number we could use to narrow down the pack.

Thanks, Don

paquette@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.203954.9192@dgbt.doc.ca> don@dgbt.doc.ca (Donald McLachlan) writes:
>	There has recently been talk of "The Unix System Administrators
>Handbook" by Neameth, Snyder, and Seabass, published by Prentice Hall.
>
>	I don't know if they are incompetent or not, but this is not
>enough info for the people in our library to track it down.

   UNIX System Administration Handbook,
       has ISBN number: 0-13-933441-6

  Hope this helps.
    Trev

--
______________________________________/Abandon all hope ye who enter
Trevor Paquette ICBM:51'03"N/114'05"W |   - Gate Keeper of Labyrinth [~]    [~]

sfreed@ariel.unm.edu (Steven Freed CIRT) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.203954.9192@dgbt.doc.ca>, don@dgbt.doc.ca (Donald McLachlan) writes:

> 	There has recently been talk of "The Unix System Administrators
> Handbook" by Neameth, Snyder, and Seabass, published by Prentice Hall.
>
> 	I don't know if they are incompetent or not, but this is not
> enough info for the people in our library to track it down.

First of all, I have met Evi, taken classes taught by  her, and know that
she is very competent. As for the others, I have not met, but knowing
Evi and the company she keeps, they would rank right up there with
her.

As far as the book, from the title page in mine:

Lib. of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data

Nemeth, Evi. (date)
	Unix systes administration handbook / Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder,
    Scott Seebass.

	  p.  cm.
	Includes Index
	ISBN 0-13-933441-6
	1. UNIX (Computer operating system)  I. Snyder, Garth.
    II. Seebass, Scott.   III. Title.
    QA76.76.063N45    1989
    005.4'3--dc20                                    89-32379
							  CIP

The publisher offers discounts on this book when ordered
in bulk quantities. For more information, write or call:

Special Sales
Prentice-Hall, Inc
College Technical and Reference Division
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
(201) 592-2498

--

Thanks,
Steve.                    sfreed@ariel.unm.edu

sfreed@ariel.unm.edu (Steven Freed CIRT) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.115349@quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov>, karl@quercus.gsfc.nasa.gov (Karl Anderson) writes:
-> In article <1991Feb09.031341.15364@ariel.unm.edu>, sfreed@ariel.unm.edu
-> (Steven Freed CIRT) writes:
-> |>
-> |> In article <1991Feb8.203954.9192@dgbt.doc.ca>, don@dgbt.doc.ca
-> (Donald McLachlan) writes:
-> |> >
-> |> > 	I don't know if they are incompetent or not, but this is not
-> |> > enough info for the people in our library to track it down.
-> |>
-> |> First of all, I have met Evi, taken classes taught by  her, and know
-> that
-> |> she is very competent. As for the others, I have not met, but
-> knowing
-> |> Evi and the company she keeps, they would rank right up there with
-> |> her.
->
-> I interpreted Mr. McLachlan's comment about competence to refer to the
-> people in his library, not Evi and her co-authors.  Was I right?

Well, after reading your article and a couple of letters sent to me, and
re-reading the original article, this time while bright-eyed and bushy-
tailed in the morning, instead of after 13 hours of work, I must whole-
heartedly agree with you.

Although I am a bit embarrassed at my mis-interpretation of the possibly
incompetent "they", I must, however, stay by my comments, but, of course,
do not have the slightest notion of the competency of the staff in Mr.
McLachlan's library.;-)

As a side note, I have generally found that the local bookstores (even
the campus bookstore) have been much better in finding recEntly published
books for me than the library. If I then wish for the library to consider
ordering the book, I then take the collected information to them. This can
ususally be done via phone.
--

Thanks,
Steve.                    sfreed@ariel.unm.edu

pbiron@weber.ucsd.edu (Paul Biron) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb8.203954.9192@dgbt.doc.ca> don@dgbt.doc.ca (Donald McLachlan) writes:

>	There has recently been talk of "The Unix System Administrators
>Handbook" by Neameth, Snyder, and Seabass, published by Prentice Hall.
>
>	I don't know if they are incompetent or not, but this is not
>enough info for the people in our library to track it down.

Here is the LC Cataloging-in-Publication Data:

Nemeth, Evi.
   Unix system administration handbook / Evi Nemeth, Garth Synder,
  Scott Seebass.
   ISBN 0-13-933441-6
   1. UNIX (Computer operating system) I. Snyder, Garth.
  II. Seebass, Scott.  III. Title.
  QA76.76.063N45 1989

Hope this helps,

Paul Biron      pbiron@ucsd.edu        (619) 534-5758
Central University Library, Mail Code C-075-R
Social Sciences DataBase Project
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, Ca. 92093