[comp.unix.admin] Norton Go Home! We don't want you!

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (02/15/91)

In article <433@bria>, Michael Stefanik writes:

>In my "not-quite-so-humble" opinion, armchair sysadmins deserve DOS.
>You are talking about two things here: system administration and end-use.
>In the DOS world, "end-user" and "administrator" are one in the same.
>Not so in the UNIX world.

Excellent point.  Now if only we could convince UNIX owners/users that
they're really not qualified to administer their own systems, we'd be
good shape.

>/* rm - rm for the end-user */
>
>[most of C source deleted]
>
>	printf("Greetings poor, ignorant end-user.  I am your friendly ");
>	printf("\"rm\" program\n");

Overdone to prove a point, but I pretty much agree with the idea.  Of
course, all these end-user commands should go under /enduser/bin or
/commands, and they should be called "delete" (not rm), "type" (not
cat), etc.  And they ought not be as flexible and powerful as the UNIX
commands, e.g., "type" shouldn't cat out binaries or directories.

>Okay guys, I have my asbestos suit on ... let me have it.   :-) :-)

Not me, I agree.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force