[comp.unix.admin] tracking network lossage

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (02/14/91)

Fairly often, I get tossed out of my telnet sessions with "connect: Network
is unreachable."  Obviously something is wrong with a router somewhere :-)
My question is, how can I tell which one?  I would like to both verify that
the problem isn't one I can fix locally, and be able to tell the person
responsible that the problem exists.  I think there's a program called
"traceroute" or something like that that will show you what gateways are
used between point A and B; where can I find this?

Thanks for any advice,
				-- Jamie

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (02/19/91)

In article <JWZ.91Feb13141711@sunvalleymall.lucid.com>, jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
> ........  I think there's a program called
> "traceroute" or something like that that will show you what gateways are
> used between point A and B; where can I find this?

    Try gatekeeper.dec.com :  I found the traceroute source there.

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
    pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org