[comp.unix.admin] Security in SunOS

erl@jt.dk (Erik B. Larsen) (02/19/91)

I've noticed af security-hole in SunOS (maybe).
If you have a diskless workstation mounted on af server, and they are running
NIS, then of cource you only have one entry for root (on the server).

Now - everyone can boot a workstation up in single-user, and if you just know
a little bit of Unix, then it's easy to make an user called root or something
else in the clients /etc/passwd.

Then you can boot up in multiuser, and you've free access on the server to
delete everything!

Anyone, who know how I can solved this problem?
I'll like to hear from you.

Regards

Erik Bruijn Larsen
Systemadministrator
Jutland Telephone Company
Denmark
Email: erl@jt.dk

Remember: The Sun is always shining!

auvsaff@auvc8.tamu.edu (Dave Safford) (02/19/91)

|>I've noticed af security-hole in SunOS (maybe).
|>If you have a diskless workstation mounted on af server, and they are running
|>NIS, then of cource you only have one entry for root (on the server).

NOPE: the client retains a distinct root, which must explicitly trusted with
a "root=" entry in the /etc/exports.  By default, remote roots are NOT trusted.

|>Now - everyone can boot a workstation up in single-user, and if you just know
|>a little bit of Unix, then it's easy to make an user called root or
something
|>else in the clients /etc/passwd.

NOPE: You can prevent users from booting single user quite easily - if
you remove
the "secure" flag from the console in /etc/ttytab, a root password will
be required
to enter single user.  Note, this does not prevent the attacker from
booting another
remote kernel.  This can be prevented through the use of the new eeprom
security
mode, although it is not available on older machines.  The security mode can be
set to require a password to perform ANY rom monitor command!

|>Then you can boot up in multiuser, and you've free access on the server to
|>delete everything!
|>
|>Anyone, who know how I can solved this problem?

RTFM, particularly ttytab, exports, eeprom

|>I'll like to hear from you.
|>

|>Regards
|>

|>Erik Bruijn Larsen
|>Systemadministrator
|>Jutland Telephone Company
|>Denmark
|>Email: erl@jt.dk
|>
|>----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
|>Remember: The Sun is always shining!
|>----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

The real NFS security problem, occurs when someone does manage to obtain
root on a client (despite ttytab, eeprom ...).  Even if root is not
trusted, root can su to any user, and access his files on the server.
Secure NFS was created to fix this problem, but unfortunately, secure
NFS isn't.
I won't go into details, as having discussed the problems with Sun at their
security BOF at the latest uniforum, they are aware of the problem, but have
no quick fix.

kdenning@pcserver2.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (02/20/91)

In article <784@jt.dk> erl@jt.dk (Erik B. Larsen) writes:

>I've noticed af security-hole in SunOS (maybe).
>If you have a diskless workstation mounted on af server, and they are running
>NIS, then of cource you only have one entry for root (on the server).
>
>Now - everyone can boot a workstation up in single-user, and if you just know
>a little bit of Unix, then it's easy to make an user called root or something
>else in the clients /etc/passwd.
>
>Then you can boot up in multiuser, and you've free access on the server to
>delete everything!

You are correct.  If you can boot single user, and/or get root, you can then
su to anyone else and do what you will.

However, you can prevent booting single-user.  See "security-mode" in the
PROM command screen for details.  Basically it's a second password you have
to know in order to do anything other than boot multiuser from the default
drive/server.

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning@nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.

csd35@seq1.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (02/21/91)

> In article <784@jt.dk> erl@jt.dk (Erik B. Larsen) writes:
>>I've noticed af security-hole in SunOS (maybe).
>>If you have a diskless workstation mounted on af server, and they are running
>>NIS, then of cource you only have one entry for root (on the server).

You can remove the 'secure' option for console in /etc/ttytab and then
you won't get a shell.  Instead you'll get a demand for a password.

--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science