[comp.unix.admin] vi "TMP file too large" error

towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq) (02/22/91)

In article <jsrobins.667129377@galaxy.afit.af.mil> news@afit.af.mil writes:

   I'm having problems editing large files over 300k with vi on our ATT 3B2.
   We're running System V3.3 Unix.  When I try to edit a large file, vi reads
   in only a portion of the file and gives the "TMP file too large" error.
   I have plenty of disk space under /usr/tmp where the temp files are written
   and 48MB of RAM.

I hate to say it, but perhaps it's time to switch to Emacs....
--
Mark Towfiq, FTP Software, Inc.                                  towfiq@FTP.COM
Work No.: +1 617 246 0900			      Home No.: +1 617 488 2818

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah

From the keyboard of news@afit.af.mil:
:I'm having problems editing large files over 300k with vi on our ATT 3B2.
:We're running System V3.3 Unix.  When I try to edit a large file, vi reads
:in only a portion of the file and gives the "TMP file too large" error.
:I have plenty of disk space under /usr/tmp where the temp files are written
:and 48MB of RAM.
:
:The question is:  Is there some system parameter I can change to increase
:the allowable size of the TMP file, or is this just another wonderful
:"feature" of System V?

Thank AT&T.  Their vi, or at least some of its incarnations, has a
filesize limit.  Get the real vi from BSD or Sun and the problem will go
away.  If you can't do that, flame your vendor.

--tom
--
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn

 Tom Christiansen                tchrist@convex.com      convex!tchrist

basil@cbnewsm.att.com (joseph.d.balshi) (02/22/91)

In article <TOWFIQ.91Feb21111448@babyoil.FTP.COM> towfiq@FTP.COM writes:
>In article <jsrobins.667129377@galaxy.afit.af.mil> news@afit.af.mil writes:
>
>   I'm having problems editing large files over 300k with vi on our ATT 3B2.
>   We're running System V3.3 Unix.  When I try to edit a large file, vi reads
>   in only a portion of the file and gives the "TMP file too large" error.
>   I have plenty of disk space under /usr/tmp where the temp files are written
>   and 48MB of RAM.

Try using split. This will break the file up into smaller manageable files
that vi will be able to edit.

			- Basil -

|**********************************|***********************************|
|  Internet: jdb@aloft.att.com     |   There's a town I know,          |
|  UUCP: ...!att!aloft!jdb         |   Where the hipsters go,          |
|                                  |   Called Bedrock!                 |
|                                  |   Twitch! Twitch!                 |
|                                  |           -- Rock Roll            |
|**********************************|***********************************|

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (02/22/91)

Mark> I hate to say it, but perhaps it's time to switch to Emacs....

[just for the viewing public: standard GNU Emacs has 2 vi emulation modes,
here's one:]

VIP
***

VIP is a Vi emulating package written in Emacs Lisp.  VIP implements most
Vi commands including Ex commands.  It is therefore hoped that this package
will enable you to do Vi style editing under the powerful GNU Emacs
environment.  This info file describes the usage of VIP assuming that you
are fairly accustomed to Vi but not so much with Emacs.  Also we will
concentrate mainly on differences from Vi, especially features unique to
VIP.
[...]
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364

From the keyboard of Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM:
:>>>>> On 21 Feb 91 16:14:48 GMT, towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq) said:
:
:Mark> I hate to say it, but perhaps it's time to switch to Emacs....
:
:[just for the viewing public: standard GNU Emacs has 2 vi emulation modes,
:here's one:]

This is ATT's answer to having a sucky vi???

--tom
--
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn

 Tom Christiansen                tchrist@convex.com      convex!tchrist

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (02/22/91)

Tom> From the keyboard of Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM:
Tom> :>>>>> On 21 Feb 91 16:14:48 GMT, towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq) said:
Tom> :
Tom> :Mark> I hate to say it, but perhaps it's time to switch to Emacs....
Tom> :
Tom> :[just for the viewing public: standard GNU Emacs has 2 vi emulation modes,
Tom> This is ATT's answer to having a sucky vi???

Disclaimer: I do not necessarily represent an AT&T official view.  I am
but one programmer.  Followups: /dev/null.
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (02/22/91)

towfiq@FTP.COM (Mark Towfiq) writes:

>In article <jsrobins.667129377@galaxy.afit.af.mil> news@afit.af.mil writes:
>   I'm having problems editing large files over 300k with vi on our ATT 3B2.
>   We're running System V3.3 Unix.  When I try to edit a large file, vi reads
>   in only a portion of the file and gives the "TMP file too large" error.
>   I have plenty of disk space under /usr/tmp where the temp files are written
>   and 48MB of RAM.

>I hate to say it, but perhaps it's time to switch to Emacs....

I'm sure that Mr. Robins appreciated that answer.  Switching to EMACS WOULD
mean that he'd only have about 40 mb of RAM.

To address the original question, you might first want to look at your ULIMIT.
It could be that you're exceeding the ULIMIT in your temp file. Failing
that, you may be running up against a compiled in limit reported to be in
some versions of vi.  If that is the case, then you can either try to
get AT&T to fix the problem (harf! :-) or get a PD editor like steVIe or
similiar and install it.

If you have root access or can get it, try editing your file as root.
That should override the user ULIMIT. (please be gentle if I'm wrong :-)
My opinion is that ULIMIT is biting you.  I've never experienced
problems editing large files on 386/ix, any flavor of NCR Unix or
AT&T Unix on a 3b2/400 once the ULIMIT problem is out of the way.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

cat@tygra.UUCP (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.183218.8617@convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
"
"Thank AT&T.  Their vi, or at least some of its incarnations, has a
"filesize limit.  Get the real vi from BSD or Sun and the problem will go
"away.  If you can't do that, flame your vendor.
"
"--tom

Ditto SCO XENIX's vi (its probably a SYSV clone). It'll handle just under
500k before spitting out that message. We have ELVIS and STEVIE, but they
can't handle using TERMINFO instead of the error-riddled TERMCAP and the
arrow keys don't work at 2400bps or lower.

>Thank AT&T.  Their vi, or at least some of its incarnations, has a
>filesize limit.  Get the real vi from BSD

Umm, the BSD "vi", or at least some of its incarnations, has a filesize
limit, too; I think the problem is that AT&T didn't bother turning
VMUNIX on when building "vi" in S5, while Berkeley did turn it on when
building "vi" (well, "ex") in BSD.

news@afit.af.mil (02/24/91)

Well, If I had known I'd get so many responses to this vi problem, I'd have
posted a lot sooner!  I've got a much more accurate AND timely response from
this board than I have from the ATT support line.  As it turns out, ATT
*cripples* some of their versions of vi with a file size limit.
I assume it's to prevent resource conflicts on some of the smaller machines
they market.  If that's so, then you would think that they would send me a
version with no limit or at least a much larger limit, right?  Their answer:
"Sure, if you just send us $$$, we'll send you an *enhancement* version."

Needless to say, I didn't take them up on the offer. I guess I'll just work
around it by splitting up the larger files, editing, and putting them back
together again.

Thanks again to all those who responded.

John Robinson

John S. Robinson			Air Force Institute of Technology
Instructor in Computer Engineering	Wright Patterson AFB, OH  45433-6583
jsrobins@blackbird.afit.af.mil		Work:	(513) 476-4500

From the keyboard of news@afit.af.mil:
:As it turns out, ATT
:*cripples* some of their versions of vi with a file size limit.
:I assume it's to prevent resource conflicts on some of the smaller machines
:they market.  If that's so, then you would think that they would send me a
:version with no limit or at least a much larger limit, right?  Their answer:
:"Sure, if you just send us $$$, we'll send you an *enhancement* version."

I'm shocked and amazed.  It brings to mind the punchline of an old joke:

    We're the phone company.  We don't care -- we don't have to.

--tom
--

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb22.142239.16509@tygra.UUCP> cat@tygra.UUCP (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) writes:
>In article <1991Feb21.183218.8617@convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>"Thank AT&T.  Their vi, or at least some of its incarnations, has a
>"filesize limit.  Get the real vi from BSD or Sun and the problem will go
>"away.  If you can't do that, flame your vendor.

>Ditto SCO XENIX's vi (its probably a SYSV clone). It'll handle just under
>500k before spitting out that message. We have ELVIS and STEVIE, but they
>can't handle using TERMINFO instead of the error-riddled TERMCAP and the
>arrow keys don't work at 2400bps or lower.

Well there must be different versions of SCO's vi, because I have one that
I have had files larger than 2 megs that I have edited.  The Unix V.2.3
from Esix  on another system I have dies at about 400k max.  As a matter of
fact I copied the vi from SCO onto the Unix box  (I own them both).
Just grabbed the history file and loaded in 50272 lines at 3,177,657 byte
in size.

This is SCO Xenix 2.3.0 with development system.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.152650.12458@bilver.uucp> bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:
"
"Well there must be different versions of SCO's vi, because I have one that
"I have had files larger than 2 megs that I have edited.  The Unix V.2.3
"from Esix  on another system I have dies at about 400k max.  As a matter of
"fact I copied the vi from SCO onto the Unix box  (I own them both).
"Just grabbed the history file and loaded in 50272 lines at 3,177,657 byte
"in size.
"
"This is SCO Xenix 2.3.0 with development system.
"

I have SCO Xenix 2.3.2 with dev. sys. I tried the history file thing
and got "Temp file too large" at 10,305 lines, 518,144 characters. I
would think that the "buggy" vi would have been in the older version
with the correction in the newer (2.3.2) version, but hey - SCO is
always full of suprizes...

gsteckel@vergil.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.012643.21189@tygra.UUCP> jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:
-
-I have SCO Xenix 2.3.2 with dev. sys. I tried the history file thing
-and got "Temp file too large" at 10,305 lines, 518,144 characters. I
-would think that the "buggy" vi would have been in the older version
-with the correction in the newer (2.3.2) version, but hey - SCO is
-always full of suprizes...

Does SCO have the Missed'em V file size limits installed?  If so, /etc/defaults
should contain a file which login reads to set the maximum size file a user can
write.  This limit would cause the error symptoms displayed.
	geoff steckel (gwes@wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.

phil@ls.com (Phil Eschallier) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.012643.21189@tygra.UUCP> jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.152650.12458@bilver.uucp> bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>
>I have SCO Xenix 2.3.2 with dev. sys. I tried the history file thing
>and got "Temp file too large" at 10,305 lines, 518,144 characters. I
>would think that the "buggy" vi would have been in the older version
>with the correction in the newer (2.3.2) version, but hey - SCO is
>always full of suprizes...

if you have sco xenix 2.3.+ for the 80386 you should have no problem using
vi on larger files -- however, there is a problem with the vi that comes
w/ the crypt suplement disk -- it restricts the size of the file.

my work around was to install the crypt disk then copy vi to vi.crypt --
i then re-installed ex/vi from the operating install disk.  this will allow
me to use a real vi but use vi.crypt when necessary.

--
Phil Eschallier     |  E-Mail to:                    US Mail to:
                    |   INET: phil@ls.com             248B Union Street
Lagniappe Systems   |   UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!phil    Doylestown, PA  18901
Computer Services   |    CIS: 71076,1576              VOICE: +1 215 348 9721

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen x4312 dept208) (03/01/91)

In article <tim.667224648@holly> tim@dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) writes:
>In <jsrobins.667129377@galaxy.afit.af.mil> news@afit.af.mil writes:
>
>>I'm having problems editing large files over 300k with vi on our ATT 3B2.
>>We're running System V3.3 Unix.  When I try to edit a large file, vi reads

---

>got a brain-dead version. The System V/386 version doesn't suffer from
	Not true, in my experience.  SysV/386 vi does works this way.
	In fact it is a real pain 'cause I cannot just look at any old
	big file (like /usr/adm/messages).
>this ridiculous state of affairs (at least under ISC/SCO). You could moan at
	So ISC and SCO obviously changed the DEFINE.
	Without source, you would have to switch editors or use split.
	Complain to the supplier, maybe the info in this post can help
	them fix it.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com