[comp.unix.admin] Reliability Exabyte tapes

hansb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Hans Bouw) (02/22/91)

Hello there,

Does anyone know if the Sony p5-90MP video-8 tapes
are reliable, can I restore files from those tapes
after 2 years or should I use tapes from Maxell or
Exabyte.
If you have any experience with these tapes or if
you have seen test, please let me know.

thanks,

Hans Bouw,
Thechnische Universiteit Eindhoven (Holland)
E-Mail: hansb@win.tue.nl

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (02/25/91)

In article <1781@svin02.info.win.tue.nl>, hansb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Hans Bouw) writes:

> Does anyone know if the Sony p5-90MP video-8 tapes
> are reliable, can I restore files from those tapes
> after 2 years or should I use tapes from Maxell or
> Exabyte.

  A while ago, someone posted a long summary message of responses to a similar
  query.  This included a site that claimed to have done a substantial stress
  test comparing a number of 8MM cartridges.  The consensus was that the most
  reliable tapes were Exabyte's and SONY P6-120MPs.  Re the latter, there was
  a consensus that 1 out of apx. every 40-50 cartridges or so were found to
  be defective.  Our relatively short-term experience (apx. 7 months) has con-
  firmed this.

  pavlov@stewart.fstrf.org

braun@dri.com (Kral) (02/26/91)

In article <3235@canisius.UUCP> pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
>In article <1781@svin02.info.win.tue.nl>, hansb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Hans Bouw) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know if the Sony p5-90MP video-8 tapes
>> are reliable, can I restore files from those tapes
>> after 2 years or should I use tapes from Maxell or
>> Exabyte.

>  The consensus was that the most
>  reliable tapes were Exabyte's and SONY P6-120MPs.  Re the latter, there was
>  a consensus that 1 out of apx. every 40-50 cartridges or so were found to
>  be defective.  Our relatively short-term experience (apx. 7 months) has con-
>  firmed this.

As an aside: we noted that the difference in price between P6s and P5, compared
with the "grey" cost of keeping an inventory of two different kinds of tapes
(one for large volume, one for small) was insignificant enough to just use one
(P6) kind of tape for all uses.

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."

sdesmara@sobeco.com (s.desmarais) (02/28/91)

>In article <3235@canisius.UUCP> pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
>>In article <1781@svin02.info.win.tue.nl>, hansb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Hans Bouw) writes:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if the Sony p5-90MP video-8 tapes
>>> are reliable, can I restore files from those tapes
>>> after 2 years or should I use tapes from Maxell or
>>> Exabyte.

>>  The consensus was that the most
>>  reliable tapes were Exabyte's and SONY P6-120MPs.  Re the latter, there was
>>  a consensus that 1 out of apx. every 40-50 cartridges or so were found to
>>  be defective.  Our relatively short-term experience (apx. 7 months) has con-
>>  firmed this.

Speaking of reliability, I'd like to know what is the reliability and the
durability of the exabyte media.  What will happen in 15 years when I want
to restore files from exabytes? (Recently, we restored a 14 years old file
from a 9-track tape.)

We are rusing tapes for the incremental daily backups.  Is there a limit
to the number of times we can reuse exabyte tapes?

What are the environmental constraint to respect as to the storage
of exabyte tapes?

Also, do you think that the "exabyte" peripheral will be around for a
long time, or will we have to recopy all our archives to a new medium
3 years from now?

Is there any comparative study that was done on the reliability of the
different media available (the ol' 9-track, exabytes, streamers,
worm disks/laser disks, etc).  If so, could you point me to one?

That's about all my questions for now.  Maybe more latter.
--
Stephane M. Desmarais               sdesmara@sobeco.com
Division STS - Groupe Sobeco Inc.   {uunet | mcgill-vision}!sobeco.com!sdesmara

braun@dri.com (Kral) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.191216.5859@sobeco.com> sdesmara@sobeco.com (s.desmarais) writes:
>Speaking of reliability, I'd like to know what is the reliability and the
>durability of the exabyte media.  What will happen in 15 years when I want
>to restore files from exabytes? (Recently, we restored a 14 years old file
>from a 9-track tape.)

My advice: you should always "check" any wound, streaming magnetic media at
least every 24 months.  By this I mean at least rewinding the tape, but
possibly rewriting it as well.  Otherwise, you stand the chance of the data
bleeding onto the next layer of tape and causing parity problems.

Yes, I've recovered data off of 7 year old 9 track tapes.  I've also had
unrecoverable parity errors on 2 year old tape.  I suspect the 8mm media hasn't
been around long enough to establish any kind of track record, so we play it
safe and plan on rewriting tapes every 24 months.

--

ajj@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andy Jackson) (03/01/91)

In <1781@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> hansb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Hans Bouw) writes:

>Hello there,

>Does anyone know if the Sony p5-90MP video-8 tapes
>are reliable, can I restore files from those tapes
>after 2 years or should I use tapes from Maxell or
>Exabyte.
>If you have any experience with these tapes or if
>you have seen test, please let me know.

>thanks,

>Hans Bouw,
>Thechnische Universiteit Eindhoven (Holland)
>E-Mail: hansb@win.tue.nl

Hi,

SUN tell me to use only real exabyte exatapes with my drives. The
people we buy our tapes from have sent us sony p5-90mp tapes when
we asked for exatapes and we have also had a drive delivered with
a blank sony tape instead of  an exatape. On this evidence I believe
the sony tapes to be OK. Maxells you are supposed to avoid as they
wear out the heads. We do tend to have a tape turn around of only
about 3-6 months however but the sony tapes have given no probs.

:-)

Andy Jackson
ajj@uk.ac.soton.ecs
University of Southampton UK.

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark W. Tilden) (03/04/91)

In article <WRPYTPB@dri.com> braun@dri.com (Kral) writes:
>In article <1991Feb27.191216.5859@sobeco.com> sdesmara@sobeco.com (s.desmarais) writes:
>>Speaking of reliability, I'd like to know what is the reliability and the
>>durability of the exabyte media.  What will happen in 15 years when I want
>>to restore files from exabytes? (Recently, we restored a 14 years old file
>>from a 9-track tape.)
>
>My advice: you should always "check" any wound, streaming magnetic media at
>least every 24 months.  By this I mean at least rewinding the tape, but
>possibly rewriting it as well.  Otherwise, you stand the chance of the data
>bleeding onto the next layer of tape and causing parity problems.

Basing the lifetime of Exabyte media against it's immediate video
counterpart means that you can expect a lifetime of at least 25 years
or 600 play/rewinds before the tape looses the 7dB signal loss which
will result in fatal restore errors.  This does not take into account
scratches or tape folds that can be introduced to the tape by faulty
or wearing tape mechanisms (a real problem as current Exabyte units
only last approx 1000 running hours before they become tape 'hostile').
Modern 8mm tape, especially the high-metal variety used in Exabytes,
actually has very low magnetic bleedthrough in comparison to other video
formats like beta and especially VHS, because of the extreme density
and uniformity of the metal crystals, and superior seperation between
tape layers by a tape backing as thick as the magnetic media itself.
Exabyte tapes are so reliable in fact that you could hold them to
your filing cabinet with a (appropriately sized) fridge magnet and still
be fairly sure of getting your data back (No warrenties expressed or
implied).

The biggest danger is mechanical wear or damage.  The less you play a tape,
the better off it'll be, at least until Exabyte starts using improved
Hi8 video mechanisms in their product.

So the answer is you're in pretty good shape if you back up every
two years or leave your tape on a shelf for twenty.  The biggest danger
will be if there'll be anything to read your quaint 'tape' come the
year 2010.  It should be safe enough until r/w diskmans come onto the
scene.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

brianc@labmed.ucsf.edu (Brian Colfer) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Feb27.191216.5859@sobeco.com> sdesmara@sobeco.com (s.desmarais) writes:
>>In article <1781@svin02.info.win.tue.nl>, hansb@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Hans Bouw) writes:
#>> The consensus was that the most reliable tapes were Exabyte's and
#>> SONY P6-120MPs.  Re the latter, there was a consensus that 1 out of
#>> apx. every 40-50 cartridges or so were found to be defective.  Our
#>> relatively short-term experience (apx. 7 months) has con- firmed this.

>Is there any comparative study that was done on the reliability of the
>different media available (the ol' 9-track, exabytes, streamers,
>worm disks/laser disks, etc).  If so, could you point me to one?

Especially DAT... sinice this is the most comparable subsystem to the
Exabyte...
--
Brian  Colfer          | UC San Francisco        |------------------------|
                       | Dept. of Lab. Medicine  | System Administrator,  |

slootman@dri.nl (Paul Slootman) (03/06/91)

Someone said: (I'm afraid I didn't get the original, we're new to news)
> The consensus was that the most reliable tapes were Exabyte's and
> SONY P6-120MPs.  Re the latter, there was a consensus that 1 out of
> apx. every 40-50 cartridges or so were found to be defective.  Our
> relatively short-term experience (apx. 7 months) has con- firmed this.

I've heard this before. I only wonder whether defective tapes are
detected right away, or only after having been used for some time. I
prefer the first...

Paul.
slootman@dri.nl
...!hp4nl!dri500!slootman

nsoley@.com (Norman Soley) (03/07/91)

In article <929@dri500.dri.nl> slootman@dri.nl (Paul Slootman) writes:
>Someone said: (I'm afraid I didn't get the original, we're new to news)
>> The consensus was that the most reliable tapes were Exabyte's and
>> SONY P6-120MPs.  Re the latter, there was a consensus that 1 out of
>> apx. every 40-50 cartridges or so were found to be defective.  Our
>> relatively short-term experience (apx. 7 months) has con- firmed this.
>
>I've heard this before. I only wonder whether defective tapes are
>detected right away, or only after having been used for some time. I
>prefer the first...

I've been told that there are differences in the mechanical contruction inside
the cartridge between D8 tapes and "regular" 8mm video tapes and that the video
tapes can break internally under very light shocks and that this is the reason
the failure rate when these are used as data tapes.

It is also worth pointing out that both Sony and Maxell are selling D8 type
tapes, they cost about twice what the P6-120MPs cost but I've yet to have one
jam.

       Norman Soley - Systems Administrator - Oracle Corporation Canada
      155 University Ave. Suite 400 Toronto, Ontario (416)-362-7953 X646
      nsoley@cnseq1.oracle.com               uunet!torsqnt!cnseq1!nsoley
	      "These opinions are mine, not the company's"